Not sure if I am reading labels correctly

Options
It's my second week on MFP. I have a calorie intake of 1200, which I am able to handle. A lot of people have been saying 1200 is too low but I have been able to eat well and keep full, within reason (I eat a lot of vegetables). Now I am wondering if maybe I am reading the labels correctly. Any suggestions, advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you aren't reading labels correctly?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Look for serving size, and number of servings per container. Typically there is a weight listed with the unit of measurement. I use a food scale and the gram weight listed for servings.
  • PhiliswaM
    PhiliswaM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am worried that I could be reading incorrectly since I am able to eat a lot of food at 1200 calories while people are saying 1200 is too little. I do use a kitchen scale and weigh out to the tee.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/nutrition/nutrition-facts-and-food-labels/the-basics-of-the-nutrition-facts-panel

This page offers basic information for reading labels. You may have different needs depending on how you want to structure your nutrition and if you are concerned with limiting specific macro (fat, carbs, protein) and micronutrients.

Pay attention to the serving size and number of calories per serving. If you eat more or less than the labeled serving size, you have to do some math to calculate additional or fewer calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The acid test is whether you lose weight at the expected rate. Of course it will take a few weeks to be sure of that.