Fruit?

I competed on a bikini comp about 2 months ago.... on my prep. My coach cut fruit out of my plan.... I LOVE fruit... It just doesn't make sense to me.

Since, I've started introducing it back into my diet.
I can't see how something natural can be bad for you?

What's your opinion on fruit?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Fruit is not bad for your health. But perhaps your coach was making the decision for some reason related to the competition rather than health. Have you tried asking him/her?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Did you ask your coach why?
    Was it all fruit or just the higher calorie/less filling fruit? I don't know very much about bikini prep and nutrition but maybe he/she was trying to get you to eat more filling carbs to fit your macros because your cal level was a little lower than usual? Otherwise I don't see why you couldn't have it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If it was contest prep, it was most likely just to reduce carbs and dry you out. There is nothing unhealthy about fruit though.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Advocare also cuts out fruit on the last part of the 24 day challenge. I think it is the sugars, but I think fruit is great. I assume you are paying for "coaches" expertise so please ask and let us know WHY?????
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If it was contest prep, it was most likely just to reduce carbs and dry you out. There is nothing unhealthy about fruit though.

This^^^

Nothing wrong with fruit whatsoever. Your coach just wanted you to lose water weight before your comp.

Though make sure to log it because it has calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The lady that owns my supplement store is in competition prep at the moment, and there's more food on her do not eat list then there is on her can eat list! Fruit is one of them, we were also discussing protein fluff, and she cant even have that, as dairy and even almond milk is off the list. I'll ask her why next time i see her.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Did your coach cut out other carbs?
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Fruit 4-ev-a.

Prep, rightly or wrongly amongst so many "prep" disciplines, does some wonky stuff in peak weeks in efforts to manipulate aesthetics.

Abolishing fruit forever is senseless because it's simply not "bad".
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    when I was in prep all I could eat was blueberries. It sucked balls. And more likely than not, even those would have been cut if I'd continues to prep but I pulled out due to still having way too much fat to lose in too short a period of time and I don't particularly enjoy starving or eating the exact same *kitten* every single day for months.

But, personally - I think nothing wrong with fruit. Fruit is good for you.

And some prep coaches include fruit in their diets - google Cheryl Frost - he plans looks like normal people food, not just chicken and sweet potato. Like mine was.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I mean...you can prep for bikini while eating fruit. Maybe not a crap ton of it assuming your carbs are not very high for prep. But really, if you like fruit you should have a reasonable coach who gets that. At least berries.

I personally would cut it out lol
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I competed on a bikini comp about 2 months ago.... on my prep. My coach cut fruit out of my plan.... I LOVE fruit... It just doesn't make sense to me.

Since, I've started introducing it back into my diet.
    I can't see how something natural can be bad for you?

What's your opinion on fruit?

I know nothing about bikini comp's and my opinion on fruit is that it is good but you have to log the calories (heck, that is my opinion on most food things ;) )

However just on the bolded question - well, yes, I can see how plenty of things that are natural are bad for you - opium is grown naturally in fields - I can even grow marijuana in my own backyard and arsenic isnt that great and nor are poisonous toadstools nor are natural venomous spiders ............ B)

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    has nothing to do with health it has to do with carbs and not retaining water.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Unless you are doing low carb it doesn't matter. eat fruit for all of you carbs if you want to.
  • brandongladney92
    brandongladney92 Posts: 31 Member
    Its not unhealthy but fruits to have a high carb content compared to veggies. And they have sugar so if ur competing its good to cut out fruit.