Disney world

Options
Going to Disney world for 9 days but I can't find any nutritional values for their restaurants any suggestions on how to stay at my calorie goals for this time and not come home with extra baggage

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Just try to stick to sensible portions and avoid having too much of anything you know is calorie-laden... if you've been at this game for a while then you're aware of what a "reasonable" portion looks like. :)

It's a holiday - enjoy yourself, and don't spend the whole trip worrying about what you should or should not be eating! If you do come home with a few extra pounds (expect that you will, be happy if you don't), you know what to do to get them off again.

Have a great trip!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    So much walking, you'll be fine. If you've been at this for a while you already have some idea of how much a reasonable serving is.

I say eat a smallish breakfast and one big meal later and then just a snack or two.

It's vacation. Worry about getting back on track afterwards. No one wants to hear about your calorie goals while at Disney, trust me. :lol:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Ha. SueSue. You and I have the same brain. Posted at the same time, too.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi! I ate my main meals there (it's actually easy to find restaurants there now with healthier options), but snacking is always what gets me! Honestly, I sneaked my own snacks in. Yep, shoved some Quest bars up my pants. But then on the last day I let myself get something really awesome from a bakery so I could treat myself.

Also, I kept pretty strictly to protein and veggies during the day, and then let myself have what I wanted for dinner. I felt that this let me have that feeling of control that I always seem to lose during vacation, while still enjoying myself.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Ha. SueSue. You and I have the same brain. Posted at the same time, too.

I noticed - almost the exact same words too! ;)
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I spent 3 days at Disney ate everything, and when I came home I had gained only 1 pound it was gone by the end of the week
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    the portions at disney are huge, share with someone else if you can
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    portion control
    also you are spending a pretty penny to go and you will be doing a lot of walking. enjoy.
  • leahs828
    leahs828 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Spent 8 days at Disney last week during the food and wine festival. I started my initial weight loss journey to prepare for that trip. I expected to gain a lot, and went with the intention of choosing healthier items and eating small portions. However I ended up eating whatever I wanted, popcorn, desserts, french toast, beer etc. I only gained back 2 pounds during that week. The amount of walking you do is no joke (several miles each day according to my step counter). I'd recommend going and enjoying it because there is delicious food everywhere at Disney!! Have fun!!
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Hi! I ate my main meals there (it's actually easy to find restaurants there now with healthier options), but snacking is always what gets me! Honestly, I sneaked my own snacks in. Yep, shoved some Quest bars up my pants. But then on the last day I let myself get something really awesome from a bakery so I could treat myself.

Also, I kept pretty strictly to protein and veggies during the day, and then let myself have what I wanted for dinner. I felt that this let me have that feeling of control that I always seem to lose during vacation, while still enjoying myself.

You don't have to sneak snacks in. They don't care if you bring food into the park. We always bring a cooler bag of snacks and stuff for the kids and they go through it at security and they're fine with it. We go once or twice a year.

• ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been to Disney more times than I can count. Here's a few points...

1. You don't walk as much as you think you do there. I hit between 14K and 16K steps a day. And it's mostly at a snail's pace.

2. I have attempted to count cals at Disney and lose weight only to come home having gained a pound or two. I've done this about 3 times.

3. I no longer count calories and am doing 21 Day Fix. My first round ended the day before we left for Disney in October. I had lost 4 lbs on my first round. At Disney I could make SUCH better choices because 21 DF gives you the tools to know how to make the best choices because it tells you how many proteins/carbs/veggies/fruits/etc a day to eat and I could already eyeball portion sizes after doing the program for 3 weeks. I stayed on plan for 5 of the 8 days and ate at the maintenance plan for 3 of the 8 days and lost 1.5 lbs in Disney.

4. Disney is doing MUCH better in offering healthy options these days. We had no problems finding fresh fruit, rotisserie chicken, veggies, etc.

Have fun!

• bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Disney have salad options now at most counter service restaurants. They don't give a calorie breakdown but dressings you add yourself so I find it easy enough to estimate. Also some set meals you can omit the sides which they will deduct off bill.
    Magic kingdom- taco bills - help yourself salad bar
    HS- abc commissary -Asian salad
    Epcot - sunshine ( sp restaurant??)salads
    AK- rainforest cafe- lots of options.

What actually gets me thru the day are the low cal coffee fraps from Starbucks! Kids have Mickey Icecreams I have my frappo. If faced with tempting goodies I will always try from another I don't order my own (my family are used to this now) sometimes I just get a spoon and it's all I need, but sometimes it's left and I do the decent thing and finish off the poor dessert!! You win some you lose some!!)

I also agree you'll walk 10-15k each day so that sud give u a little something extra.

Enjoy, I'm going in 3 weeks, can't wait!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have gone to Disney multiple times during the Food and Wine Festival and have never been all too worried about what I ate or drank... and I have never gained weight. In fact, I normally lose weight while there.