Any Nurses/Shift Workers out there?

Options
I'd love to hear people's weightloss tips for nurses. I find it so difficult fighting the fast food urge at 4am on a crazy busy night shift!

Replies

• cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well I am a nurse and used to work nights and I would pack a good meal and have snacks "healthy" ones in my locker so if I needed something I would grab that instead of junk.
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I remember working night shift. It's hard at 4am! Pack plenty of food to munch throughout the night when you need to do something to keep awake!
  • gillian055
    gillian055 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    Ya I think I just need to get a lot better at packing healthy options/ tell my co-workers to stop bringing in ginormous bags of chips! lol
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I pack all low cal/healthy things. When I do that I feel like I have more food than I can possibly eat and I'm always so full that I really don't have cravings. I chew different kinds of gum for variety. I also tailored my fat/protein/carb goals and I plan my day to get as close as possible to my goals, so if I cheat I mess up the balance. That said, I feel your pain! One of our secretaries bakes and brings cakes and treats in every day. Argh!!
  • jehzimom
    jehzimom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take lots of food and eat every 3-4 hours. That way, when I come home, I am not starving right before I go to bed or get up.
  • rg4u
    rg4u Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm not a nurse yet, but as a nursing student the nurses on the floor where I do my clinicals bring in small bags of nuts and snack on that during the day. They keep it in their large pockets and constantly eat from it.
  • gymrat789
    gymrat789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am not a nurse but a lab tech for a very busy hospital. i also work nights. I always pack protein bars and nuts. It helps me with my hunger and gives me the energy i need.
  • bishopwanda
    bishopwanda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse as well. I bought healthy microwave popcorn (smart pop) for nights, and bought my own lunch and resisted ordering out. You could challenge your co-workers and do a biggest loser at work, weight in weekly and have each participant pay a small fee $10-20 bucks, at the end the biggest loser wins the pot. Money is always a great incentive and hopefully prevent people from bringing junk to work.
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    And pack something salty so when they bring out the chips, you can eat something salty too!
  • mrsleo2009
    mrsleo2009 Posts: 15
    Options
    How do you fellow nurses track your exercise? I work 3rd shift, 12 hour nights. Obviously I'm not walking the entire 12 hours...but I want to be able to track my movement. How do you all do it?

Thanks! :)
  • nursetweety36
    nursetweety36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any easy treats for me a chocolate loving night shift nurse ? about 3-4am coffee and brownies get me.