Confused and frustrated

Options
Howdy all... first off, I know some of you will be annoyed with my post, as I am sure this has been asked a million times already. But, I am unsure as to what I am doing wrong...

My background - I started Weight Watchers the beginning of December and switched over to MFP about 2-3 weeks ago. In total I have lost 45 pounds. I have about another 90 pounds to lose. Because I am sooooo heavy I feel like the weight should be coming off faster (in the same amount of time, on the same plan, my friend has lost 80 pounds).

Now, my question is mostly about calories. I have been reading a lot (my head is spinning...) trying to figure out how to boost my metabolism and get things moving. MFP says that I burn 2,590 a day from normal daily activities. I chose the option stating that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, which has given me a daily caloric value of 1420 per day. So I am wondering due to my slloooww loss if I would be better off to cut my calories back to 1100 -1200. Or do I keep truckin' through and hopefully things will start to move soon?? I am just lost as to how many calories I should be eating...

Any advice that you guys can give is really most appreciated. I am trying hard not to get too discouraged, and I know that everyone is different, but I must say I am quite envious of my very dear friend, who is now a teeny size 6 :(

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Do you consistently weigh/measure your food? If not, you could be eating more than you realize.
  • BabyLove1606
    BabyLove1606 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No, I think you should increase your calories, change it to 1.5 poounds a week! Then when you are about 50 pounds away change it to 1 pound a week.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your basic cals that you eat ( maybe to @ 1200) & check in a week & see if that changes anything
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It could depend on what all you're eating as well....check that too.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Do you consistently weigh/measure your food? If not, you could be eating more than you realize.

I agree. I lost weight before but never measured or weighed my food just guessed at how much I was eating. I lost weight but slowly. Now I am measuring each portion ( scale coming soon) and am making good progress. Too soon to tell if it is any better weight wise, but I know I am within my caloric intake etc by knowing how many servings I am actually having. Good Luck
  • hatchhome
    hatchhome Posts: 65
    Options
    Although the process is slow, do not cut your calories by anymore. Your body is in danger of going into starvation mode below 1200 calories. Instead I recommend eating the calories you are allotted but don't eat your exercise calories. There is great debate on this but several studies show your body just takes in account when your not taking in enough and begins to slow down your metabolism. No matter what anyone says its not an exact science and your body works different then anyone else. Keep at it, you can do it.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would go up a bit. You don't say what you weigh but I started out at 300 lbs on a 5'3" large frame and I just randomnly picked 1600 calories out because I knew I had been eating 4000 a day. 1600 calories allowed me to lose really really well for the first 7 months and I lost slower after that but it is a good number to lose on when you have a lot to lose. don't drop to 1100 or 1200 now or you will have nowhere left to go if you get close to the end and need to drop some to get that last bit off.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is such a slow process, isn't it? From what I've read you shouldn't go below 1200 calories a day consistently. But maybe look at more than your calories. If you calories are within range but your sodium fat and sugar is sky high, that could be a problem. I did ww about 4 years ago under the old plan and I found when I hit a plateau that changing it up a little bit helped. Instead of doing the points program I switched to core for a month and it jumpstarted everything. Also, exercise is key. Burning calories is just as important as cutting calories. Also, try different things for 2-3 weeks at a time and see what works best for you. There really is no clear cut answer. Everyone is different. Stick to your regular calories for a few weeks, and then switch to 1200 for a few weeks to see if it is any better. Maybe spend a few weeks eating your exercise calories and a few weeks not. It's a slow process, but sj worth it. I am sure others will have more info than I do, but good luck!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't drop the calories. You are already eating 1000 fewer than your body burns per day. I wonder if you are spreading your food intake out. Eating little bits constantly helps jump up the metabolism.
  • grippys
    grippys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything (habit I started on weight watchers =D )
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Whoa - that's a pretty big deficit. From what I understand a 700 calorie deficit is the sweet spot. So 1800-1900 calories might be good for now as you lose weight and it doesn't take as many calories to maintain your new, smaller self, you can lower your calories as you get closer to your goal, EXCEPT:

NEVER EVER EVER EAT LESS THAN 1200 CALORIES!!!!! EVER!!!! (ok, if you do it like one day out of every 6 weeks you probably won't die)

And if you exercise more than 600 of your calories off, you need to start eating them back (or eat them all back).

Lastly, QUALITY of your calories counts, make sure you eat clean!

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a long, but brilliant, post about calorie deficits:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Hope you find it useful! :flowerforyou:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything (habit I started on weight watchers =D )

Great!

In addition to eating more and not having such large deficits as others have suggested, perhaps you might want to look into zig zagging (or calorie cycling) your calories day to day. It's a way of reaching your weekly deficit targets, but by varying the calories you consume between higher calorie days and lower calorie days to get the body out of a rut/plateau.

You can search the forum and google this topic. Also, www. freedieting.com has articles and a free calculator that seems popular with the MFP zig zag crowd (including me).

You can also check out this MFP thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/285229-zig-zag-caloric-intake?

It's not for everyone, but something you can consider and decide for yourself.
  • grippys
    grippys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I am petrified to up my calories, but ... I guess everything is just trial and error. Thanks again for your help =D
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I found that very informative; thanks!