Treadmill running leg ache

Options
So the colder weather is forcing my runs to the treadmill. I'm noticing by my 3rd run of the week my lower legs will ache, the outer part not the shins. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Ideas to make it stop?

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Calf raises, or change they way your feet are landing, or run with a slight incline to emulate live running.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Elevate tread to minimum 1.5 or your basically running downhill. Had a college coach tell us that during running camp back in HS. Walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes before hand at 4/4.5 mph to get the blood flowing, same at the end but 3/2.5 mph to cool down. Stretch and hydrate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Calf raises, or change they way your feet are landing, or run with a slight incline to emulate live running.

I would suggest the opposite to calf raises, you want to stretch the calf not contract it more.

Hang your foot off a step to stretch your calf out.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »

I would suggest the opposite to calf raises, you want to stretch the calf not contract it more.

Hang your foot off a step to stretch your calf out.

I should of specified the calf raises are recommended for days you aren't running. I suggested them in case the muscle being weak was the issue.