Bad night calf cramp... what to do?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've had them all my life but this was one of the worst... it probably lasted close to a minute and I actually woke up 3 times from the pain afterwards. Now it hurts to walk.

Any tip to make it heal faster? I guess I'm not going to the gym today... and it's the week end. SIGH.

Replies

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a charley horse?? See how much potassium you're getting in your diet. They say a banana a day keeps cramps away! Are you properly hydrated? Are you stretching properly before and after exercise? Was it in your calf? That's where I usually get them. For post charley horse pain the only thing I can suggest is stretching your calf out. Stand on a stair facing upwards with your toes on the edge, hang onto the railing for balance and slowly lower yourself to stretch your calves. Or, just stand on flat ground and raise onto your toes, I personally don't find I get enough stretch doing that though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If i were to give a recommendation based on my experience (and not necessarily something i've researched heavily) I would say:

1.) balance your electrolytes during the day! You can check cron-o-meter to see how you're doing.
    2.) Make sure you are getting adequate levels of Sodium and Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium
    2.) stay hydrated and drink plenty of water!
    3.) try stretching and/or foam rolling before bed
    5.) If you continue to have these issues, i'd see if i had some underlying medical problem. I think it's common (atleast from what i've heard) for people with kidney, thyroid, or poor circulation to suffer with this. Oh, and pregnant women.

Hope this helps!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,206 Member
    Options
    Throughout my life I have experienced these on occasion ... and foot cramps in the middle of the night too.

Over the past few years, the number I've experienced has increased ... and in the last year or 18 months it seems to happen a lot.

I watch my electrolytes. I am hydrated. I stretch.

And then my husband suggested something ... from his observation, I seem to get the cramps right around my periods. A lot of weird things happen right around my periods. But two things ... night sweats and foot or calf cramps seem to happen together and quite consistently.

I hobbled around around for about 2 days after a particularly bad calf cramp last month. Stretching does help, as does walking.
  • Fit_Trekker
    Fit_Trekker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My runner husband swears by a dill pickle juice shot during the day and taking a spoonful of yellow mustard before bed.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium at night to help with leg spams
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I used to get these but no longer do. I'm not sure what exactly changed, but I do now eat bananas regularly and take a magnesium supplement. My SO stopped getting them after he started drinking more water after passing kidney stones, which can be caused by under-hydrating.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/muscle-spasms-cramps-charley-horse
  • Machka9
    Options
    I can't speak for the OP, but I make sure I get all the electrolytes ... sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc. ... and yet it still happens.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I can't speak for the OP, but I make sure I get all the electrolytes ... sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc. ... and yet it still happens.

5.) If you continue to have these issues, i'd see if i had some underlying medical problem. I think it's common (atleast from what i've heard) for people with kidney, thyroid, or poor circulation to suffer with this. Oh, and pregnant women.

:(

according to webmd:
    • Other medical conditions, such as blood flow problems (peripheral arterial disease), kidney disease, thyroid disease, and multiple sclerosis.
    • Taking certain medicines, such as antipsychotics, birth control pills, diuretics, statins, and steroids.
    • Exposure to cold temperatures, especially to cold water.
    • Standing on a hard surface for a long time, sitting for a long time, or putting your legs in awkward positions while you sleep.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have kidney stones ... but aside from that, I've been checked. None of the webmd conditions apply.

My guess is what my husband observed ... I go into a perimenopausal night sweat just before my periods start, perhaps dehydrate myself and/or sweat out my electrolytes because everything is absolutely soaked when that happens ... and then cramp.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I take a daily magnesium supplement and also make sure I get enough potassium. During an acute attack, I've found that raw ACV provides some relief as well...that's about the only thing I can say about ACV that I've found to be true, but it's still anecdotal.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I take a daily magnesium supplement and also make sure I get enough potassium. During an acute attack, I've found that raw ACV provides some relief as well...that's about the only thing I can say about ACV that I've found to be true, but it's still anecdotal.

i have tried it based on a recommendation for some gerd/reflux. i am amazed, it actually does a kick *kitten* job. pro-tip
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Mine seem to be worse if I don't stretch properly. Taking supplements helps me to avoid them.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've had them all my life but this was one of the worst... it probably lasted close to a minute and I actually woke up 3 times from the pain afterwards

Calves usually cramp from being chronically tight, which reduces the flow of electrolytes like potassium & magnesium in and out of the muscle, causing it to seize up. It happens at night because circulation to the calves is reduced then. The common reason for tight calves is wearing shoes with a raised heel, which most shoes have. Switch to "zero heel" shoes (Keds, Toms, skateboard shoes, etc). Also stretch your calves every hour or 2 for 30+ seconds. :+1:
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of magnesium. I only take it a few times a week as a preventative measure. Mine is combined with calcium, which I assume is to help aid absorption.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and got miserable cramps, my doctor told me to eat half a banana every day and take two tums before bed.

It seemed to work.
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    May sound crazy but some people claim a bar of soap under your fitted sheet on top of your mattress eases this for them. I'm not sure if there's any research out there beyond anecdotal but if you're still having issues it might be worth researching.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A potassium pill takes this problem away for me. Sometimes at night, my legs start to get "restless" and that's the first sign. I get up and take a pill, it goes away.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of magnesium. I take magnesium malate I order from amazon. If I do get a cramp I take a drink of pickle juice. Sounds gross, but works like a charm every time.
    Be careful with the acv. It's very strong and will erode your teeth. It needs to be diluted.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you stretch in bed make sure to point your toes up to stretch the calf instead of contracting it.
  • scottonbike
    scottonbike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have them so bad I scream at night. I take a magnesium table something called LEG CRAMPS by Hyland and pickle juice. I think the pickle juice works the best. Ice cold it is better then Gatorade.