Vegan Protein Powder? (non-chocolate)

Options
I'm looking for a vegan protein powder that I can either find easily in the US or on amazon. I'd really like it to be completely dairy free, and I'm allergic to chocolate, so none of that.

Any suggestions? I'm interested in cost per gram of protein, what the protein actually comes from, and what you mix it with. I'm going to assume that since you consume it, it doesn't taste completely awful. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you in advance. I'm completely new to protein powders. I'm a vegetarian, but hate relying on Greek yogurt and eggs for protein. I love nuts and eat them regularly, but the fat in them brings up my calories quite a bit and they're expensive.

Replies

• ruffledviolet
    Options
    Well I'm considering these two if anyone has any thoughts:
    http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=10002&productId=638102
    wegmansprotein.jpg
    http://www.naturade.com/Protein-Powders/Pea-Protein-p619.html
    2601i.jpg

Don't ask me why they show the vegan soy powder nutritional information with milk.... doesn't make any sense to me.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    Are there any vegans on here who use a protein powder?
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for you - doll face, maybe no one saw it? I'm not vegan - so I can't help xoxo.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    hey! so the ones that I use the most are GeniSoy, Vega, and MEtagenics.
    THey all come in plain, choco, vanilla, strawberry, etc.
    also, a little trick i picked up, buys some of those flavor concentrates from he baking aisle (almond, rum, peppermint, etc). I add a single drop or two to the entire shake when i make it and i suddenly have a ton more flavor options :)
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've used Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Powder (Pea, Hemp, Rice with Chia seed) Greens formula. It is vegan and vanilla flavored. I'm a chocolate lover, not vegetarian or vegan, and so prefer my cheapo chocolate whey powder, but this one's pretty decent as PP's go. It's got a slight chalky flavor but overall completely edible - especially in a soy milk smoothie with some frozen fruit.

I got it at Vitacost http://www.vitacost.com/Lifetime-Lifes-Basics-Plant-Protein-Powder-with-Greens
    15 servings, just under $20.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a protein powder, but I have had Vega, which is a meal replacement. So considering that it's a meal replacement, it's kinda pricey.

I like Manitoba Hemp Pro 50 and 70 a lot, I feel like it's affordable and has the added benifit of Omega-3s and all 10 essential amino acids. Taste is fine, I add it to almond milk, banana and berry smoothies for breakfast. I don't think I'd ever add it to anything hot, cause of the Omega-3's.

I've heard that Trader Joe's carries a Vanilla Vegan Protien powder, but I haven't been there myself to look for it and the husband hasn't seen it at the one he went to the other day...

I'm Vegan so you're welcome to check out my diary, though I just started and am still figuring out how to make my calories work for me.