Need motivation & tips!

Options
Hey lovely people! I'm in week five of my weight loss journey and need some support. My ultimate goal is to lose 85 pounds. I put this all on during college. It makes me sick. But I've been working my buns off and cut my favorite foods out of my diet. I'm not really losing pounds though, so do you have any tips? Most of my fat stores in my belly area so I definitely cannot wait to have a flat stomach again. I'm just looking for some friends on here,and some motivational and support buddies. That would be awesome!

-Jolie

P.S. do you know how to weigh in because I tried to and my tracker did not change.

:-)

Replies

• CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    To weigh in, go to the home page. Look at the top menu and there is a "check in" button. You can log your weight there.

Are you eating enough? Too little? It's hard for us to offer advice without knowing your daily caloric intake, what types of food you are eating, how much you've lost, how long you've been doing this, etc.
  • Amymhis
    Amymhis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work dear! It's sure to pay off!!! Remember, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn each day. The more cardio you do, the more fat you burn, if you just lift weights you'll never really lose the lbs but you'll definitely feel stronger!!! A combo of both is ideal and the best way to get awesome results. As for the diet, stay under your calorie count and break it up into 4-6 small meals throughout the day for best results. It is helpful to get a Heart Rate Monitor, one the has a strap to go around your chest as well as a watch. I myself have a New Balance brand but there are better ones out there. It can help you see how many actual calories you are burning, everyone is different and a basic "calorie burn chart" wont be the same for everyone!
    As for the weigh in, go to the weight in, enter it in, and it might take a few minutes to register, I just updated mine and it took a couple minutes to change.

Hope it helped! Keep it up!!!

Amy
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I go through times where my weight will stay the same and then it'll suddenly drop and stay there. Just keep pushing on! You'll get there. Make sure you don't eat a lot of processed foods, and look at sugar intake!:)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Weigh in under the "check in" tab on your home page. :)

Tips:

1) Eat Clean http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

2) Watch sugar (under 40 grams a day), stay away from artificial sweeteners, watch sodium (under 1500 mg)

3) Push protein (1 gm for each lb of lean body weight) and fiber (at least 26 gm a day for women)

4) Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. DON'T drink ANY sodas (even diet ones)

5) Lift heavy weights 3-4x week http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/

6) HIIT http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/505print.cfm

Feel free to add me if you'd like. :) Best of luck to you. If I can do it, so can you.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    What WifeMomDVM said!! I've whittled my waist by watching sugar intake, drinking lots of water, doing running intervals both on the treadmill and outside in my neighborhood, as well as lifting weights. Building muscle burns fat (well, the muscle actually burns the fat for you) and that's how you get skin-ayy! It's also great for your heart.
  • rigarc00
    rigarc00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amy is correct. I lost over 70 lb, but the first month or so I couldn't tell the difference with a scale. That's because you're trading fats for muscle. That's perfectly normal early on. I was very dissapointed as well but i realized i needed to make a life change weather i lost weight or not. Once your body gets used to the work outs the excess weight starts coming off in bunches because you are increasing your metabolism by adding more muscle.

Keep doing what you're doing for another month, i guarantee you you will see weight come off soon. Remember, it probably took you years to gain that weight. Be patient with your body to readjust to your new active life style.

Keep it up!
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! That's awesome.:-) I put my weight on in less than a year, and I am shocked. I'll keep it up and try not to focus too much on that number. Thank you!
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    I think I may be eating too little. I eat for breakfast: cheerios, fruit smoothie, eggs, turkey Bacon, or oatmeal. Not all obviously, lol. Lunch ill have grilled chicken salad with loads of veggies or shrimp and dinner I have chicken again, sometimes burger parties, or homemade recipes that are healthy. I cut POP out and drink a lot of water. I work out six days a week doing strength training and Cardio.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A watched pot never boils.

I think there a few different things to judge when evaluating your progress:

1. How do you physically feel?
    2. How do you look to yourself?
    3. How do your clothes fit?
    4. What does the measurement say?
    5. What have others said about your progress?

If you physically feel good, then you are on the right path,
    If you are liking the way your body is changing...keep going.
    Nothing is better than moving the belt notch tighter!
    A few pounds but man i feel better than ________!
    Someone noticed, that felt awesome!

I wish you the greatest success. You are awesome!
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you taking in most of your calories at night or within a couple hours of going to bed? I had (still have, some days) a bad habit of "being good" all day and then pigging out at dinner or dessert. (Doesn't help that my boyfriend's an ice cream junkie.) Lately though, I've been making a conscious effort to eat healthy and yummy snacks throughout the day, so that I don't feel the need to eat so much at night before bed. It's worked for me and I feel much better in the morning! Also - I second the LOTS of water idea!
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Amanda- I try to eat light towArds the end of the day and not snack so much. It's not easy but I know its bad for yoy. Man, my boyfriend is an ice cream junkie too!!! Lol! Good job with the healthy snacks, that's the way to go.:)
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    are you keeping track of your inches? just because you aren't losing pounds doesn't mean you aren't losing inches :) good luck to you!!! :)
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Paradog- to answer your questions....

I feel bursts of happiness but guilt for becoming fat. I have the hardest time getting ready when I go somewhere because nothing fits how I want it to.

I really don't like the way I look at all.

Some clothes fit a tiny bit better now so I'm excited about that but some are still very tight.

I have list four inches off my tummy in five weeks!

and no one has said anything Bout my progress.

thanks so much for being involved with my journey!!
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i have been on here for almost 40 days now, and the only one that has said that they notice a difference is someone that knows i am on mfp. it would be nice if some random person would just say, hey have you lost some weight??? that would make my day!! i know what it's like to wait for that positive reinforcement honey :) i hope you get yours soon :)
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weigh in under the "check in" tab on your home page. :)

Tips:

1) Eat Clean http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

2) Watch sugar (under 40 grams a day), stay away from artificial sweeteners, watch sodium (under 1500 mg)

3) Push protein (1 gm for each lb of lean body weight) and fiber (at least 26 gm a day for women)

4) Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. DON'T drink ANY sodas (even diet ones)

5) Lift heavy weights 3-4x week http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/

6) HIIT http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/505print.cfm

Feel free to add me if you'd like. :) Best of luck to you. If I can do it, so can you.

I like these suggestions Thanks
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Jolieblossom, I can relate, because I gained a lot of weight during my first year at my desk job, and now I'm trying to lose it.

All the clothes that I bought to wear to work don't fit, and I had to get more clothes in a bigger size. I think it helps to just get stuff that is flattering and fits, even if it's not the size you want to be. It's easier to move in clothes that you can feel good in, and movement burns calories!

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to feel guilty over the weight gain. The past is the past, and it's time to move forward.

Also, since the weight was gained all in the last year, you might want to check with your doctor and make sure there aren't any underlying causes. I am hypothyroid, and when my hormones are out of whack, I gain weight. When my hormones are balanced, I am much more active, and it is so much easier to take control of my situation.

Best of luck to you!
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Fiberartist, I have checked with a doctor bc I thought it may be a thyroid condition but after a lot of tests he said I was very healthy and found nothing wrong. I felt like a lost cause. I like what you said, that the past is the past and its time to move forward. It's a tough thong to do but I never thought I would have support like this. How come people don't respond like this in real life? I mean no one seems to care that I know but so many on this site are amazing!

Thanks for your encouragement and kind words.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think in real life we feel uncomfortable asking people to help us. There is this concept that to ask for help is a weakness and that is not accepted.

In regards to clothes ... i picked out one set of clothes as my guide to how my body is changing. I would take pictures of the progress but the federal government has banned any images that might be harmful! LOL

Patience...and start the day with a smile.

Today was not a great day for me, but I decided to spend an hour with the cool evening air walking my dog. It felt great, killed a few calories, and my dog is tired! All is well that ends well!