GYM workout rotation help

Options
Hi! I have been loving the exercise video life forever and decided to change it up by joining the Y .... love it ..... but without the lady on TV telling me what to do I'm at a loss ..... can someone give me some ideas for where to find a decent weights workout for women targeting weight loss??

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I use the Jefit app on my phone. There are hundreds of pre-made workouts you can download based on your goals and what equipment you have. You can modify the workouts if you don't like one exercise or need to use a different piece of equipment. Once you get more experienced, you can put your own plans together as well.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    or follow a freeweights programme such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 etc.

I wouldn't recommend putting your own plan together when there are many very good plans out there.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,848 Member
    Options
    My Y has weightlifting classes for women. Have you checked the classes your Y has? Most of them are free with your membership.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My Y has a really great Group Power class. Group Active has a great mix of cardio and strength. Check out the classes - there's a lot included with your membership. And if you are willing to pay, there's some TRX training classes that you can take as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My Y has a Fit Path program in which they set up weights routine for you, you input what you did on the computer, and it gives you an updated workout every day. Free with membership.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I looked up stronglifts 5x5 and did that program until I couldn't progress further, or had a break, then tweaked as necessary.
  • OtisLove
    OtisLove Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll check at the Y about the FitPath - thanks for the feedback - I'm going to google the right lifting plans too... :0)
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Someone in one of the threads here turned me on to this workout for beginners:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Just 3 exercises x 3 sets per session.
    I've been doing this 3 times a week for about 3 months now and feel like I'm making steady progress. I like it because the workouts take only 30 minutes. Watch some YouTubes or get advice from a trainer to make sure you're using good form.
    I also tried New Rules of Lifting for Women but those workouts took an hour or more to complete and I'm just not that into being at the gym for that long.