Office parties

Options
What do you do to aviod looking like a wet blanket at your office parties/potlucks during this holiday season? And how do you answer the "why aren't you eatting question".

My office is a smaller call center with only 25ish staff members but it doest stop us from ordering fatty food, and bringing in treats from home to share. We have parties for nearly any holiday which means about 4 parties between the end of October and beginning of January.

I personally will bring in a food I don't like, so I look like I'm partipating (generally sweets as I dont eat sweets). I also bring in my lunch and eat it during the party time. Would work perfectly if this didn't result in being asked about 24 times why I'm not eatting the other food with everyone else.

I know it's only a few days out of year but it happens to coincide with the time of year where we are all also attending constant family and friend parties for these same holidays.

Just trying to get a glimpse on how others handle these social obligations.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd fit some party food into my day...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to bring something to share that you actually can eat or that's less unhealthy. I usually bring a really nice home made fruit salad or a caprese salad. Both are usually a huge hit.

This. My "go to" potluck is a bunch of chopped yellow, red, green and orange peppers with a few different types of homemade hummus, pita chips, pesto with grapes. It's festive and fairly healthy.
  • mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I skip office parties all together.. If I want to let loose it's not going to be with those dweebs
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What do you do to aviod looking like a wet blanket at your office parties/potlucks during this holiday season? And how do you answer the "why aren't you eatting question".

My office is a smaller call center with only 25ish staff members but it doest stop us from ordering fatty food, and bringing in treats from home to share. We have parties for nearly any holiday which means about 4 parties between the end of October and beginning of January.

I personally will bring in a food I don't like, so I look like I'm partipating (generally sweets as I dont eat sweets). I also bring in my lunch and eat it during the party time. Would work perfectly if this didn't result in being asked about 24 times why I'm not eatting the other food with everyone else.

I know it's only a few days out of year but it happens to coincide with the time of year where we are all also attending constant family and friend parties for these same holidays.

Just trying to get a glimpse on how others handle these social obligations.

Will power combined with self-indulged my body temple is holier-than-though attitude seems to work. You get used to it year after year after year after year. B)
  • lizzmongoose
    lizzmongoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mccormf1 wrote: »
    I skip office parties all together.. If I want to let loose it's not going to be with those dweebs

Haha, that's part of my point too if I'm going to indulge it's going to be at friend and family parties.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Going by your numbers: 4 parties in the span of 3 months. Personally, I just relax and enjoy the food reasonably and eat at around maintenance, that's a total of 2000 calories I haven't lost in these 3 months (assuming a 500 calorie deficit). I simply let it go, the effect on my overall diet would not be that large. That's only 0.2 pound slower per month for a total of just over half a pound over 3 months. Not worth the stress and headache. If I want to be extra vigilant I just bank extra calories for these days or make up for them by eating less next day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I think the trick to handling these questions is to avoid them.

Do not tell people you are on a diet. Do not draw attention to yourself by doing something obviously different like eating a packed lunch from your lunchbox while others eat party food. Or commenting negatively about the food or the event

Do bring something to share that you like and can have within your goals - eg green salad, fruit platter, soup etc.
    Then have mostly that and any other low calorie options and small amounts of other things. Keep a small amount on your plate which you toy with and slowly eat it.

Mostly people are really not that interested in what other people eat and don't look that closely, IME, unless it gets drawn to their attention.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You know when the party is going to happen so make sure to allow calories for it so you can eat something there.

Some people bank calories from earlier in the week, some people will do IF that day, some people do more exercise around it.

Personally I fast in morning (because thats what I always do), have a lower calorie lunch, hit the gym before the party and then enjoy myself in moderation at the event. Then make use of all the calories the next day with some more exercise.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options

Why would you bring something you don't like? Bring something you do can eat ... perhaps a fruit and veg platter, or a low-cal banana bread, or crackers and cheese, or something. Do some research ... look for some lower calorie recipes for something you could make or put together.

Fill your plate with the fruit and veg options, and then have one or two of the other choices.

I imagine you would get questions if you brought in your own lunch! Don't bring your lunch to work at all on those days. Use the food at the party as your lunch ... just be selective and don't go overboard.

And then do a bit of extra exercise.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    How do I get by? By not subscribing to the 'all or nothing' mentality. There is a middle ground between 'I must eat it all!' and 'I can't eat any of it!'. For the potlucks, I like the strategy of having my protein (our mgmt usually carers BBQ for our potluck at work) and then 3 of my absolute favorite sides. Eat one plate, maybe a small sweet or two, and I'm done. Usually it's enough. If not, switch to vegetables.
    It's all about balance, and not leaving feeling stuffed and miserable. :)
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to bring something to share that you actually can eat or that's less unhealthy. I usually bring a really nice home made fruit salad or a caprese salad. Both are usually a huge hit.
    No doubt you're not the only person who would like to eat a bit healthier at these functions. I agree, bring something you can eat, sounds like there's plenty of crap being offered, you don't need to add to it. It's refreshing to have healthy options available. Why bring something you aren't going to eat?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why would you bring something you don't like? Bring something you do can eat ... perhaps a fruit and veg platter, or a low-cal banana bread, or crackers and cheese, or something. Do some research ... look for some lower calorie recipes for something you could make or put together.

Fill your plate with the fruit and veg options, and then have one or two of the other choices.

I imagine you would get questions if you brought in your own lunch! Don't bring your lunch to work at all on those days. Use the food at the party as your lunch ... just be selective and don't go overboard.

And then do a bit of extra exercise.

This. Bringing something that I don't like has never even occurred to me. If I'm going to take the time and money to make it, it's going to be something I will eat.

Other than that, change your point of view. You refraining from eating something does nothing to decrease a normal coworker's enjoyment of the party. If a person is completely bugged beyond reason, that is his/her problem, not yours.

I have to say that I never run into anybody asking why I don't eat something. We have plenty of parties here at work that I have attended to congratulate the honoree and then walked out of without eating anything and nobody has said a word to me about it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn to eat as if I was at my goal weight and not trying to lose any more. These types of events are going to happen throughout your life. You (I) need to learn how to deal with them in a healthy way. So yeah, I'm part of the party and eat an appropriate amount of food. Might mean a light dinner or just a protein shake for dinner (assuming a potluck lunch).

Figure out a way to deal with these things that will work for the rest of you life.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    My advice, after years of miserable failure and regression, I would suggest the following approach if you are trying to lose weight over the holidays.

- Your goal is fluid, to be somewhere between maintenance and your deficit goal. So taking a 1 lb per week goal (3500 calories), if you have an office party and you overreat by 1000 calories. Oh well you only burn 2500 calories that week (or you can bank calories or get an extra workout in to make up for it). The main goal is not reach the point where you say 'F this, I'm going to go crazy and eat everything and start start next year'. The worst you should be is the same weight as you went into the holiday season as.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Don't eat everything. Problem solved.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key. I also suggest you bring something you can eat. A pretty veggie platter is a nice offering.

Drink A LOT of water at the event.

When someone says why aren't you eating? Say I'm not hungry. If they persist ask an equally rude question back, such as why are you pigging out? When they get offended apologize but point out that based on what they asked you, that you thought it was a new thing, ask your co-work an invasive Q day or something.