Weight loss and depression

Options
My husband and I have been on this journey for a little over a year and a half and I could not be more proud of our success. My Husband has lost 209 lbs and I am at 117 posted weight loss. Today he was offered a job, that has a potential for a really good opportunity and I am really happy for him, but for some reason it did not change my mood. I have been suffering from some form of depression or mood swings that are hampering my weight loss. I know that my job is stable, but I am not happy in it and that has contributed to my issues. Have any of you experienced depression or mood swings with your weight loss? Any suggestions on how to snap out of it with out the use of pills?

Replies

• KassiV
    KassiV Posts: 28
    Options
    Honestly? I go for a run. Nothing like a post-run high to get me into a better mood. Plus that time that I'm hitting the pavement is time to myself and time to think (or not!). Yoga helps too.
  • melmarler
    melmarler Posts: 23
    Options
    If you are suffering from depression you won't just "snap out of it". You really need to talk to your primary care doctor. I finally did after suffering for over 2 years this time. Medication is helping a little to reprogram my brain. Exercise is giving me a stress relief outlet and therapy is helping as well. You don't have to be on medication forever.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    iv got depression and mood swings when i try to diet but i dont loose weight..
    when i am looseing weight im happy. incredibly happy!
    but as soon as the weight loss stops i get very depressed!
    are u on a weight plateau? it would definitely explain it.
  • jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    Options
    I suffer from depression. I hate my job. I hate that I'm bigger than what I want. I hate a lot of things. Its hard to deal with, but what keeps me going is knowing I'm on the track to a healthier me. I'm doing something for me. I set goals and use then to look forward to. I have an amazing husband, a job, a home. You just have to remind yourself of all the good.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've heard that there are links between super low-fat diets and depression.

Oftentimes, I get depressed for pretty much no reason. Sometimes there just isn't an outside reason for depression. :(
  • tenomyls
    tenomyls Posts: 23
    Options
    I was in theraphy for awhile going in/out of depression. There was days that I couldn't get out of bed. I weighed (years ago) over 300 lbs. Even when I was at my smallest weight I felt the same (mentally). I discovered when I ate certain types of foods I felt depressed. I started to read books on foods and allergic reactions they can cause. Then I started writing down what I ate and how they made me feel. If I eat foods with too much wheat or sodium I couldn't get out of bed for days. When I was on my weight loss journey back then I was eatting alot of the pre-package foods that are (marketed) "healthy", but they contain tons of sodium. Once I started eating better..natural foods and track my wheat/sodium intake I feltso much better...Not sure if this can help you but once I figured out what the problem was I felt so much better!
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    Well sweetheart, I will tell you, it is not uncommon for people that have lost a lot of weight to have some form of depression sometime during the process in saying that, if it is bothering you that much an affecting your life you may need to see your doctor. Look I know that meds are often looked at in a bad light, however think of it this way, if you were a diabetic would you say no to taking drugs? Depression is real and yes there are strategies to help come out of a “blue period” which I suspect you already do quite often these include exercise, eating right, getting sun, have projects…so I suspect that you are doing most of those strategies. There are so many reasons we become depressed and that is why you should talk to your doctor. It may require meds for the short term or long term, but ultimately who cares, if you need them and they help you to feel better, no one but you and your doctor needs to know. You may also try talk therapy, that can help as well, however statistically the combination of both do the most good. Good luck honey, it is such a hard place to be, know that you have our support.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering from depression you won't just "snap out of it". You really need to talk to your primary care doctor. I finally did after suffering for over 2 years this time. Medication is helping a little to reprogram my brain. Exercise is giving me a stress relief outlet and therapy is helping as well. You don't have to be on medication forever.

i second this. please talk with your doctor about how you're feeling. he or she will also likely have additional suggestions about what to do, whether it's changing your diet/exercising regimen or referring you to a psychiatrist. best wishes!
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I may have to go see the Dr. about this issue. I always considered my self Fat and Happy, but now that I am " not so fat" I seem to not be happy either. I figured losing the weight and having more self confididence would open up so many more doors for my career and success, but that has not happened and that plays a really big part in my depression. I am lucky in the fact that I do not have depression to the point I don't want to get out of bed, but there are times I don't want to go to work, or eat the right things, or exercise, but I seem to still do it. I am also lucky I have a great husband.