Popcorn

Options
I swear the nutrition info on the popcorn bag/box is written intentionally to confuse people. In what world do people need to know the caloric content of eating the unpopped kernels? :tongue:

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I cook my own popcorn, so it's helpful to know the calories of the amount of kernels I put into the pan :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    it changes after its popped? :/
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Agreed! That's why I buy Pop Weaver's Popcorn. The nutrition facts have both one bag popped and bag unpopped listed. No mumbo jumbo like other brands. After all, I buy popcorn to eat by the bag.
  • sadinplaid
    sadinplaid Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I bought an individual microwave bag from our work snack area, and it says:

Service Size 2 Tbsp unpopped
    (makes about 4.5 cups popped)

Servings per bag: about 2.5

Calories
    2 Tbsp unpopped 170
    1 cup popped 30

So I'm thinking I have to multiply 4.5 cups popped * 2.5 servings = 11.25 cups popped * 30 calories = more than I want to eat for a snack. :smiley:
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I measure my kernels before popping and record it as such.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sadinplaid wrote: »
    I swear the nutrition info on the popcorn bag/box is written intentionally to confuse people. In what world do people need to know the caloric content of eating the unpopped kernels? :tongue:

I make my own popcorn all the time. I measure and log it by the uncooked weight.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I cook my own popcorn, so it's helpful to know the calories of the amount of kernels I put into the pan :)

Same here. It's easier to weigh exactly one serving out prior to popping it. Plus, if you add oil, butter, etc..to pop it in...
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Would it not work to weigh the bag of unpopped popcorn before making it, pop it and empty the popped popcorn into a bowl, weigh the empty bag, and then take the difference between the first weight and the last weight as how many grams of unpopped popcorn were there to begin? I'm asking because I just bought popcorn for the first time since I've been weighing my food!
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Measure it after you pop it. Air popped popcorn is 31 calories per cup. If you add anything like butter, cheese, etc, add that to your total.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point that OP was probably talking about a bag of microwave popcorn. And yes OP I think they are just trying to be confusing on purpose!

I go by the "servings per bag" times the calories per serving, cause yeah I'm gonna eat the whole bag. Not as exact as I usually like to be, but it's the best I can figure it.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Most popcorn bags say how many calories are in a cup and the box usually says how many cups the seeds make. The popcorn I make, ACT II 94% fat free is 15 calories per cup. The seeds make 13 cups per bag. 15 calories x 13 cups is 195 calories for the bag. Done! Most popcorn nutrional info is similar.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of the microwave stuff so I air pop mine. I weigh the unpopped kernels and use that weight for my calorie count.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The nutrition label will say how many grams are in a single serving (e.g., something like, 3 Tbsp (32 g.)). The front of the box will tell you how many grams are in each bag (something like three 72-g bags, total 210 g.)

I divide the bag weight by the serving weight (b/c, yes, I'm eating the whole bag), and enter that as the number of servings--in this case, 72/32 = 2.25. No, it doesn't account for the unpopped kernels, but at least I know I won't be undercounting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just cook it and log like 10 cups and call it a day.
    #thuglife
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like the unpopped kernels. Were I to meticulously track, that information would be important.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i just buy 100 cal packs
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on a bag of "lite" sriracha popcorn at Home Goods. 2.5 cups for 130 cals and really good. I gotta go back and find it again.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    it changes after its popped? :/

Much of the oil remains in the bag after it's popped.

I guess they include the unpopped info for the derelicts licking the sides of the empty bag. ;)

I know I'm not the only derelict that does this...