Confused about my "calorie intake" and etc - needing help

Options
I just recently started using this site on a daily basis and every night i'm getting the same message. For instance, here is what it says today (keep in mind I've got this message for the past 3 days) I honestly feel full, I dont want to eat anything else =/

My Todays Totals: Cal: 906 Carbs: 136 Fat: 25 Protien: 45 (( I earned 238 extra calories from exercise today))

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

And that was even after I drank 2 sodas. I feel like i've reached my limit on food, the thought of eating something else makes me nauseated. I've ate dinner and lunch, as well as snacking on honey roasted peanuts! also, does anyone have any good tips on how to kick the soda habit? I feel like I have to have it when I eat lunch or dinner (horrible habit, im sure i'm not going to see any weight loss unless I kick this soda habit!) I dont like tea or koolaid, and I do drink 8 glasses of water a day.

Replies

• cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The soda is prolly filling you up. I recommend changing your ratios, maybe increase protein. Have you tried something like crystal light to substitute??
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    according to the calculator i'm already in the red on protien =/ I feel like i'm doing everything wrong. I've gained weight since doing this site b/c I realized once I joined that I wasnt eating enough, so i've gained -- but I know that will eventually go away that my eating before wasn't healthy, but i'm 210lbs now. when I signed up a month ago I was 202lbs :( It's just discouraging, especially since I feel like i'm doing nothing right. I'm running around w/ measuring spoons and cups just to make sure i'm not going over
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    I have tried crystal light, I do like it I actually have some. I dont usually drink it though because I do like unflavored water, I havent tried it when I eat though, I always seem to go for a pepsi (my fiance likes his soda)
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Do you normally drink regular soda? Have you tried switching over to diet? I switched over last summer--even before I was starting to watch what I eat (exercised though)--and it helped me drop a few pounds. I'd just take it slowly. I know there are people who will say you need to cut out soda entirely, but I've managed to cut down to only one can a day--it keeps me sane ;)
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    I have tried diet, I just dont usually buy it, I only buy pepsi b/c of my fiance even though I dont really much care for it (although I feel the need to drink it?) I quit buying mt. dew for myself because I would drink a 24pk in three days. So I've stopped myself from purchasing it. Before, I would drink anywhere from 5-6 pepsi's a day, so I've cut back but I would like to have it completely elimiated just so I could drop some weight.

I think maybe I will try the diet and drinking crystal light with meals, that might actually help me. Thank you :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You get that message because 900 calories is unsustainable for a body. In fact, you are hurting your metabolism which in turn wil burn less calories making it difficult to lose weight. And average female body needs at least 1200 calories to maintain bodily functions. Eating less will not only hurt you, but could make you gain weight. If you happen to lose weight, you are depleting the calories from your muscle which in turn will lower your basil metabolic rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you burn while sleeping.

What you are doing is dangerous and will hurt your chance of losing weight properly. If you have trouble eating, then eat foods with higher protein and carb totals. Low fat diets aren't good. I know from experience. Stuff like chicken, eggs, protein shakes/bars, avoado, nuts, etc. will all get you to your calorie needs.

In simplitic terms, food is fuel. You need enough fuel to run your motor. If you don't get it, your motor shuts down. The motor in the case is your metabolism. Eating less calories will not get you to lose weight faster. In fact if create a deficit that is too large, you slow your progress and lend yourself to plateauing. Below is the approach I take. And please don't be afraid of food. Just make sure it's not process foods.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I then go into a custom setup under my goals and set my daily intake for 3000 calories (well I will starting sunday, right now it's 2800 because I haven't officially started p90x until sunday). Additionally, to follow the p90x food guide, I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    my excercise is what brought my calorie intake down. I was over 1000 calories before I put in my excercise totals. and everything I eat i make myself (meat, veggies etc.) the only thing that I didnt have to make was the peanuts & watermelon i've ate today.
  • rhomor
    rhomor Posts: 39
    Options
    instead of soda try carbonated water. If you are not a fan of the plain, lemon or lime Can I suggest making a container of Crystal light and adding the carbonated water? Really a great alternative. At least until you kick the soda habit. If you don't want to do that all I can say is suck it up and just stop drinking the crap. No one said making changes would be easy. It is hard. but you have to try.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can change all of the macronutrient ratio defaults, you can increase the alloted calories if you want.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
  • Mimi4one
    Mimi4one Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree that the soda might be filling you up.

If you are also finding your carbs too filling, try cutting back on them a bit and adding a little healthy fat. Takes up less tummy space and slows down your glucose/insulin response, steering you away from fat storage mode. Soda is a bad idea, assuming you're talking the full sugar version, it raises blood sugar/glucose which in turn calls for a rise in insulin, when insulin levels run high in the blood stream it queues in fat storage mode. You can actually eat a small amount of calories and still store fat if what you are eating are simple carbs, such as soda.

I personally love to squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a glass, fill it up with Gerolstiener Sparkling Mineral Water and a packet of stevia. Only 7 cals and it's not hurting my bones like regular soda does, but giving me a host of minerals and heaps of calcium.

Best wishes,

Mimi
  • psuLemon
    Options
    my excercise is what brought my calorie intake down. I was over 1000 calories before I put in my excercise totals. and everything I eat i make myself (meat, veggies etc.) the only thing that I didnt have to make was the peanuts & watermelon i've ate today.

Well your exercise calories won't lower your calories you intake in the system but rather it will increase your goal.
  • smkcx♥
    Options

Well your exercise calories won't lower your calories you intake in the system but rather it will increase your goal.

what do you mean?
  • psuLemon
    Options

what do you mean?

So if you eat 1200 calories and put all the calories in the system, your calories will show you ate 1200 calories in yoru food log. When you exercise, you eat additional calories that you can eat. When I look at your dairy, you only eat 900-1000 calories eat day and that is not enough calories.