The Ultra Running Hangout

Options
2»

Replies

• Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I run when I can. For my last ultra I didn't train anywhere near as much as I wanted but I got a bigger run in and 1 smaller one if I could per week. I also did cross training at home to keep fitness up. For me it was all mental, I stuck to my race plan which was pretty laid back. Don't stop too long at checkpoints and finish before cut off. Spring/ summer runs are 5am starts as it gets too hot for long runs. Smaller ones in the afternoon after kids in bed. Winter my son plays footy so long runs are in the afternoon.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back into Ultra Training again. Broke my ankle at an event so no training at the moment, and is driving me up the wall. Is great to see so many runners here :)

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a first - a half marathon , but I have no interest in an ultra.I can't even fathom it to be honest. Even a full sounds daunting. I'm in awe of you ultra people.

I was there once... Then a full seemed doable... Then a 50K... Then a 50 miler... And the more you hangout with people running long distance the more you realize than they are normal people and if they can do it, you can do it!!

I'm a lone runner. Unfortunately. I know very few runners and it's hard with my schedule to get together with anyone else to run.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a first - a half marathon , but I have no interest in an ultra.I can't even fathom it to be honest. Even a full sounds daunting. I'm in awe of you ultra people.

I was there once... Then a full seemed doable... Then a 50K... Then a 50 miler... And the more you hangout with people running long distance the more you realize than they are normal people and if they can do it, you can do it!!

I'm a lone runner. Unfortunately. I know very few runners and it's hard with my schedule to get together with anyone else to run.

I'm very much a lone runner. It's the one time in my life I get to switch off. I love the community around ultra running. The before and after race chats are great but when I'm on the trail, I just want to run on my own.

I did a 30 miler where another runner wanted to talk to me for the whole thing. That was more painful than the actual run itself. Running through the gorgeous New Forest and he just wouldn't shut up and let me enjoy the peace and quiet. In the end I tanked my time but almost 30 mins, just so he would get bored of my super slow pace and long breaks at check points.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with trail running, and I would love to do a trail marathon. The New Forest sounds wonderful, I love it there so much, night walks looking for bats, sunrises looking for frogs and reptiles, birds, ponies, etc. I guess it was an organised run?
  • FatMoojor
    Options
    @tiny_clanger Yeah it was a organised run. Quite a few of them in the New Forest. There are a few runs actually coming up.

http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/

I am currently signed up for the 26th Feb Marathon. I was going to run the one on 27th November but slipped a disc last week at the gym, so having to take it easy at the moment.
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    Ooh, will keep an eye on that. The Feb marathon is too close to Brighton for me, but maybe one of the summer events. I was also looking at this one newforestmarathon.co.uk/#top Do you know anything about it?
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Running my first ultra in spring. Which will actually be my first organized race; trying to make myself be more social.

@FatMoojor I would be very annoyed to have another runner talk incessantly to me while trying to enjoy the race. You were polite about it, I might have tripped them "on accident". LOL
  • FatMoojor
    Options
    Tiny,
    I've never run that race. It is always to close to another race for me to do. Next year it is the day after I run the Thames Path challenge. But it has been going for quite some time and has had good reviews.

I'm doing the following next year in October. I have run it a couple of times now. Really good multiday. Wonderful route which seem to find some mountainous hill in the new forest, well they feel mountainous after 25 miles! Really well run and organized event.

http://www.xnrg.co.uk/events/details/pony-express-2017.aspx

Those people are also putting on a 3 day event in May bank holiday, across the Southdowns, 3 days, 30 miles a day.
    Just trying to persuade the wife that this is a good use of my time.
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    @FatMoojor

That looks awesome! Not sure I'll be ready for the full distance by October (Brighton is my first marathon and I've not gone further than 13.1 on trails yet) but maybe a day trip....
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've pencilled in my 2017 ultra wish list.
    May - Hubert 50km
    June - Cleland 50km
    July - 6hr event (flat so made 45km this year and was sick so hoping for 50km)
    Sept - Yurrebilla 56km (definite yes!)
    Oct - Heysen 57km

All are trail except 6hr which is a dirt/concrete path which is a loop.

There's a few smaller trail races in there with the summer and winter trail series plus cleland 24km. I miss the 1st ultra of the year in March as I'm away. I'll have to start saving my $$ now lol.