Time to give up?

Options
Is there a point when you just stop trying to lose weight and say f*** it, this is my body??

5'8" and 193 pounds with a lot of muscle. Also a LOT of stress. I stay between 1300-1500 most day. Generally low carb. Excersize regularly. In the last 4 months I have only lost 7 pounds and then gained back 2. REALLY frustrated. Have even been trying medically supervised low carb. All my labs like thyroid come back normal. Any thoughts??

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Are you actually using a food scale to measure intake?
  • darciew2
    darciew2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes to the food scale, and measuring spoons....
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    darciew2 wrote: »

There's no need for measuring spoons. Just use the scale. And keep your deficit low enough where you're not feeling deprived. A .5-1 lb per week should be practical. You lose but don't feel hungry, win-win. So why give up when you can have both?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I can squeeze a lot of food into measuring spoons. You need to weigh everything that is not liquid.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Ditch the measuring spoons aside from liquids. They are inaccurate for solids.

How are you measuring outtake?

But also, remember that weight loss is not linear. You still lost a total of 5lbs. I think this is more a case of unrealistic goals with losses than it is anything else. But if it is not at the rate projected by MFP, there's an issue somewhere in your logging.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I lost 55 lbs and kept it off for 5 years that when I hit a Plateau i would go eat something yummy like burger and fries and for some reason my weight loss would come back after. I don't know if it meant anything but I'll do it again this time. I gained 60 lbs while pregnant and I'm back to trying to lose weight 6 weeks postpartum. Maybe stop trying for a couple days and then go back. Good luck
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of muscle, BMI might not work for you personally. You might be at a healthy weight for you at the weight you are. Why don't you talk to a doctor about it? One that doesn't see BMI as the be all and end all of health.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Is there a point when you just stop trying to lose weight and say f*** it, this is my body??

5'8" and 193 pounds with a lot of muscle. Also a LOT of stress. I stay between 1300-1500 most day. Generally low carb. Excersize regularly. In the last 4 months I have only lost 7 pounds and then gained back 2. REALLY frustrated. Have even been trying medically supervised low carb. All my labs like thyroid come back normal. Any thoughts??

Don't give up. Those numbers still show you lost half pound per week. It takes time to reach goals.
  • darciew2
    darciew2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @Noel_57 it's called cortisol manager ( the brand is intrinsic or something similar) the naturopath had prescribed it at one point in my life. I found it again on amazon.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think you just need a new outlook...2 pounds a month means you'll have lost 24 pounds by the end of the year!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    There's no time to give up on yourself!
  • calebjacob26
    calebjacob26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An enormous amount of factors play into your goal of weight loss. The important part is to give credit where it's due and celebrate the 7 pounds you've lost. Also, I recommend not getting caught up in pounds, so much as inches. Inches lost are more indicative of a healthier body! Best of luck, though! Keep experimenting and definitely don't give up!!