Ladies who workout : what do you do with your rings?

Options
Hello! So I went shopping for my engagement ring/wedding band today and I found one set that I like...obviously this is a big purchase so I have to think it over!

So do you ladies take off your wedding ring when working out? Do you feel it is in the way? Do you leave it in the gym locker? I feel almost stupid asking this, but working out many times a week this is a concern for me (I lift, do hiit, spinning, etc. )

Have any of you broke your ring while working out? How delicate is it, do I need to take it off ? I mean, I don't want to leave it in the locker...

Any thoughts? What do you guys do?

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Take them off. Not so much for fear of damaging them, but they'd be very uncomfortable. My fingers swell.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont work out with rings on. They bend way too easily. some women put them on their necklace or a carabiner on their keychain. i usually toss mine in my gymbag pocket but i always worry i'll forget about it and lose it. i haven't yet, but i still worry.
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Take them off. Not so much for fear of damaging them, but they'd be very uncomfortable. My fingers swell.
    And where do you put them when you workout?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You will probably find you will have to take your rings off. Nasty calluses and blisters can occur and if your rings are a high quality, the metal of the equipment rubbing on gold will wear them down prematurely. Also, depending on the set, the integrity of the stones settings could be compromised - stones lost :'(

Since I am at the gym 5 days a week I don't wear rings during the week anymore. It made me sad to begin with, but common sense prevailed. I have an antique gold band (grandma's wedding ring) that is only 9ct gold that I wear, weekdays, and put it on a 9ct chain around my neck at the gym. ( like on like metal and ct value reduces wear)

Maybe less expensive ring with a chain bought on your honeymoon could serve the same purpose for you.

Cheers, h.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I only wear a wedding band and I take it off. I can't lift with rings on-ouch! I lift at home so it's no big deal. If I went to a gym I'd leave my rings at home.
  • JoanJutt
    JoanJutt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I keep all of my days jewelry in a hard-sided sunglass case or watch case inside my purse, locked in my locker. I never, never wear it when I work out. It gets in the way, and I also worry about losing it while I am working out.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I dont work out with my rings on (cardio ok, but not weights). I take a safety pin and pin them to the inside of my shirt, near the collar where i can feel they are still there, but do not need to worry about loss in the locker.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    In purse in locked locker.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I also do not workout with them on. I accidentally left them on once years ago, and my engagement ring band snapped while lifting. I keep my in a locked gym locker or at home if I remember.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my ring. The band banging against weights was an irritating feeling. When I was part of the Y, I left my ring at home so I didn't have to worry it would be stolen.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When I had rings, I left them at home. I have no rings to worry about these days, but I know a fair number of people who just fasten them into their laces.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I wear a plain platinum wedding band - no stones. I haven't worn my engagement ring in years. The band does cause some extra blistering/callous on my palm, just below the ring.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them. If I'm working out outside the home I also leave them behind entirely.
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You will probably find you will have to take your rings off. Nasty calluses and blisters can occur and if your rings are a high quality, the metal of the equipment rubbing on gold will wear them down prematurely. Also, depending on the set, the integrity of the stones settings could be compromised - stones lost :'(

Since I am at the gym 5 days a week I don't wear rings during the week anymore. It made me sad to begin with, but common sense prevailed. I have an antique gold band (grandma's wedding ring) that is only 9ct gold that I wear, weekdays, and put it on a 9ct chain around my neck at the gym. ( like on like metal and ct value reduces wear)

Maybe less expensive ring with a chain bought on your honeymoon could serve the same purpose for you.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for your post - what you're saying is basically what I think will happen. I'm super tempted by this piece of jewelry...i never really had anything nice or fancy and we are not rich what-so-ever so it would really be something special...

But I can't get out of my head that it's silly to get such nice jewellery when I workout and cook everyday...I feel common sens would eventually prevail and that it will make me sad. Plus the stress to loose it or having it stolen at the gym...or bloody fingers haha.

Such a first world problem, but it has so much meaning, i wanna do the right thing!

Thanks again!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Every metal known to man makes me itch. I had to stop wearing jewelry years ago.

Pity. I've shrunk back down to fit into my original size 4 engagement and wedding rings and now I can't wear them. (I wouldn't wear them to the gym.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Another vote for no rings while exercising. I take my rings off before bed and put them on in the morning after my post-exercise shower. I've seen those silicone rings but don't feel the need for one.

If I go to the gym I leave my rings in my gym bag, locked up like everything else.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just wear a platinum band but when I work out, I slide my ring onto my sunglasses and stick them in my purse in my locker.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I never take them off. Only when I do open water swimming races.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't have any, but the married lifters in my club take theirs off. one of them told me some horror story involving a callus and his wedding ring and i'm-not-quite-sure-what-happened except there was bleeding involved. the ring was fine, but he had to take a couple weeks off until the wound healed.