My face turns bright red!

Options
When I am exercising my face turns bright red and gets so hot. I don't sweat very much in the normal places, just my face. When I drink lots of water it helps. Does anybody else experience this and is there anything I can do about it?

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I turn into a lobster! Water doesn't do much for me, so I have no idea how to control it. I'm hoping that as I shed weight, this issue will decrease as well.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I just don't sweat that much even when I'm REALLY busting my butt, even in the 90 degree heat, but my face gets bright red.

I splash the water on my face during/after a workout to help some.

Edit: it doesn't have anything to do with my weight either, even when I was in high school and at my perfect weight it still happened, my softball team used to tease me.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about this. It has something to do with the body cooling itself off so about all you can do is get cool quicker or try to stay cool.
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem..have not found a thing that helps! I hate it because it is somewhat embarrassing to me...would love to see if anyone has suggestions.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing! I sweat all over, though, but my face is super-red! I even had someone ask me one time if I was okay. Haha!
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I was always just told that the blood vessels in my face were very close to my skin. It's been like this my whole life, I don't even have to be working hard for it to happen. Worked well in high school playing sports - coaches always thought I was giving it 500% all the time! I also do the splash my face with water thing, and it seems to help a little.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have this same thing happen. My body doesn't regulate heat very well so I barely sweat, but if I keep going too long, I get dizzy. Even when I was in shape I was like this. My husband always tells me I look like a tomato when I work out (and even when I do sweat during the 30DS, I still turn bright red)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Haha just thought I would chime in to the chorus to let you know that you are not alone!!!

I go beet red as well, though I sweat everywhere, not just my face. But yeah. I look ridiculous. Especially when I really push myself! I've lost 20 lbs and I STILL get this way, so I'm not holding out too much hope that it will change when I reach my goal weight. Alas!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    OMG I've had people ask me if I was ok with my face gets so red. I wonder if its because of being light complected. I'm as white as white can get.... even thought I am Irish/Italian.... I took on the Irish look I guess
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I turn red, and I don't sweat much, but afterwards when I stretching my body just starts pouring sweat from everywhere. I just make sure I drink plenty of water and stay on top of my hydration.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do about it. I have the same problem, always have. Like another poster said its your blood vessels close to your face.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was always just told that the blood vessels in my face were very close to my skin. It's been like this my whole life, I don't even have to be working hard for it to happen. Worked well in high school playing sports - coaches always thought I was giving it 500% all the time! I also do the splash my face with water thing, and it seems to help a little.

Hmmm that would be interesting. I wonder if that would also explain why, in the past, I've burst the blood vessels in my face whilst being sick. Maybe lots of people do that, but it's just more visible on me? Hmm.
  • virginiawest76
    virginiawest76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is truly awesome to know that I am not alone. I do live in Texas but hey it rained. So I went to the track. I think I saw two people pulling out their cell phones ready to call me an ambulance, after they took a look at my bright red face. :)
    Unfortunately I experience this phenomenon no matter what my weight is.

Thanks for your input!
  • JulianaRoseK
    Options
    I too am a tomato face, I have been all my life. My face turns bright red during exercise (ans stays red for about an hour and a half after I'm done exercising), heck even if it's just really warm outside. I can't prevent it, it just happens. Don't know what to tell you other than your not alone.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do about it. I have the same problem, always have. Like another poster said its your blood vessels close to your face.

I'm Hispanic :/ I'm sure it would be worse if I was lighter.
  • Amymhis
    Amymhis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The heat produced by your muscles during the exercise needs to be removed from your body. This happens by the dilation of blood vessels near your skin surface to allow increased heat transfer from your body to your surroundings. This is your body's way to cool down. Your face gets red and hot because the tiny blood vessels or capillaries in your face are dilated. The increased rate and amount of heat transfer through the capillaries will make your face feel hot and the increased blood flow will make your face appear red. The more intense the workout the worse this will get.
    It is perfectly normal however, I personally have had this problem since childhood.. .:(

Hope this helped!
  • nerdgirlkj
    Options
    My face & neck turn red and splotchy all the time, especially when running. The redness comes from the warm, oxygen-filled blood rushing to your skin's surface to help radiate off the heat. It's actually a sign that you have good blood circulation. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it, but to help dissipate the redness faster run an ice cube or apply a cold compress to your face to cool you further.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    same for me. i went to the Dollar General and got a bottle of mint scented rubbing alcohol. i use that to wash my face and not only does it help cool me off it helps to keep me energized!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    The more you work out and get into better condition, the better your body will be at cooling itself. This usually means more sweating so if you don't sweat much now don't be surprised if you start to a little more. I'm a sweaty girl anyway but now I'm sweating rivers! And I get a very, very red face! My taekwondo instructor was worried about me until he realized I just turn that color when I'm working hard. :D
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is so funny, I was just thinking I should post something like this. I always figured it was because I am so fair skinned (natural red-head here). I go red if I laugh too hard, never mind when working out. I have recently started working out in the morning (as well as in the evening) and was hoping there was an easy way to calm it down so I don't show up to work looking like a stop light :laugh: :laugh: