Anyone a medicine resident? Or work 70+hrs per week?

Options
I am really getting frustrated with myself not bucking down and getting serious with trying to lose weight.

One of my challenges is the work schedule. The months where I'm at 70-80 hrs a week make it so easy to chill back and use the excuse that I'm tired.

What tips or advice do you all have?

Replies

• DonutBelly
    DonutBelly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know the fraustration of not being able to discipline yourself! I'm out of training now and I feel like I was so much more disciplined when I was busy!

I don't work crazy hours any more but I used to study on the treadmill.

Tabata or just do hitt workouts are good if your time crunched.

. When I could one of my classmates would run with me and we'd quiz each other..

If I was at my desk I'd try to do push-ups or something every 45 min or sneak things in little bits at a time. Take 5 min

How's your diet?

Maybe ask a nurse or fellow resident to do weekly weigh ins/push up challenges/ etc...

Feel free to friend me. I always need people who are serious about keeping me accountable...

I keep telling myself I need to lose weight... and have been failing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I have for you is to preplan as much as possible. Keep lots of fruits and veg on hand. If you can, precook. I like to take one day and cook 4-5 different recipes in larger quantities and then freeze them into serving sizes. That way I have grab and go meals. When I'm on the morning shift, I know that I have to prepare my food the night before, or I end up eating in the cafeteria, which requires more restraint when tired.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's so hard when you work long hours or are studying long hours. The only way I make it happen is by getting up around 4am/4:30am and trying to get in an hour of exercise. If I miss this window, I know I'm not going to work out because it doesn't fit into my schedule. One of my colleagues runs home occasionally, that's the only way she can fit it in. I'm not going to say it's easy because it isn't, but maybe if you can just try the waking up super early thing a few times a week it might help!
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I work a rotational shift of one month on, one month off, during my month off its 13 hours a day for 30 days straight. The entire time sitting at a desk or in a vehicle so I know where you are coming from.

In regards to eating it is very important to plan ahead like the people said above. I'm lucky because I can force myself to eat the same thing day in and day out for at least 5 days in a row so I make a big pot of something one night and that frees up the next several nights to focus on exercise. If the same meal doesn't work for you every day, make three big pots of three different things, individually package them and freeze them and rotate through them. The pre-made dinners is my #1 recipe for success. Breakfast is one of two things every day. It's either 1/2 oatmeal with splenda, cinnamon and milk, or its three fried eggs with pepper. Doesn't matter which one I cook, it only takes me 5 minutes to make. I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge for an easy snack, as well as items like yogurt and pistachios or almonds. As long as I have meals and emergency food packed for the days, 95% of the time I can stick to my calories, it's all in the planning.

When it comes to working out....

After a long stressful day the last thing I want to do is workout and exercise when I get home. The absolute easiest way to make sure you get it done is to do in the moment you walk in the door. Currently my knees are hurting so all I can do is ride my stationary bike. I get home, change and hop on the bike for 45 minutes while reading a book. The sooner you get your exercise in, the sooner you can stop thinking up reasons that you "can't" exercise that night.

Make your diet and exercise your #1 priority. Don't clean the house, have a shower, make your bed, call a friend, do a paper or anything first. Make yourself spend the 30-45 minutes that you were probably going to waste doing nothing doing exercise. I have never once wished I didn't exercise after I was finished it.
  • ern329
    ern329 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never had THAT crazy of a schedule, but I did work 50-60 hours per week for 6 months and that was nuts. My advice for that type of schedule is to focus heavily on nutrition and not stress too much about exercise at this particular time. It only takes 45 min to plan and execute a grocery trip each weekend to load up on produce and healthy meal/snack foods. Of course exercise is a big component of weight loss, but so is not feeling overwhelmed by sleeping 5 hours a night trying to squeeze in workouts. :) if your nutrition is on point, you should still see some weight loss. Getting enough sleep and minimizing stress are so important for your body to function.
  • running2fitness
    running2fitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a med student and I barely make time to exercise.