backwards running?

Options
wbgolden
wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
Has anyone tried it? I read a short article about it, then when I was on my normal run today, somebody started talking to me, so I turned around and talked to him while continuing to run.

No heal-strike. My knees naturally bent to absorb shock and I was hitting forefoot first. I might look into it further and incorporate short runs to strengthen unused muscles. Should help with minimalist shoe runners too.

For reference: http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles/backward-running.htm

Replies

• TheNakedHouseWife
    Options
    I have always heard that backwards running is good for you because it lessens the stress. I am not entirely sure how well it can be done without tripping, but that might just be me. I have tried it a time or two and I do find it easier to do, in short spurts.
  • mbonkowski711
    mbonkowski711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to walk backwards on a treadmill for physical therapy on my back and knee, so it must be pretty good.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I like to hold hands and skip. Just make sure you plan for trees.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I like to hold hands and skip. Just make sure you plan for trees.
    [/quot

This is why you are my favorite :)
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to relocate the video/ article (from RunnersWorld.com) that I saw that recommended backwards running as an exercise to improve form. The demonstrates a warm-up, dynamic stretching, then a series of exercises (like carioka, backwards running, etc) for about 200 meters (maybe, I don't remember) each before a run.

I lied, I found the video.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-13823-0,00.html
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I never tried it. But a guy at the gym, would run his usual run, then always finish with 2-3 laps backwards (indoor track only 200 M around)

I also saw a guy running backwards down the road while I was out on a run. That seemed a bit risky. But he was facing traffic, although not moving towards it.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, y'all. I'm gonna give it a shot at the HS track!