Yes or no to Fasted Cardio?

Options
I am going to start a fasted cardio routine tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this and what do you think about it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Plenty of pals I know do it, but it doesn't work for me.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It works for some and not for others. Its about what's right for you. Try it and see, but if it doesnt work out don't beat yourself up over it. Personally I ALWAYS work out fasted, I just don't perform as well if I've eaten even 2 hours before so I do all my work outs first thing in the morning, which also fits into my life better anyway. But I have lots of energy in the morning too and it starts to fade by mid afternoon so it just makes sense for me personally
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was following the 5:2 eating pattern. At first it was awful but over a period of months I adjusted until it felt (almost) the same as training fed. Had to build up very slowly.
    Seemed to make a difference to my cycling in that my need to feed on long rides appeared to be reduced.

But if you are doing it in the belief it results in increased fat burn (in a 24hr period) over fed cardio then prepare to be disappointed.

Pros - lets you fit in your exercise into your day with more flexibility, may benefit endurance athletes.

Cons - doesn't suit everyone. Sub-optimal performance. Maybe more catabolic than fed cardio (taking in carbs spares liver glycogen).
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    <3 IT
  • DaniWhis
    DaniWhis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love it! I also see better results when I do my cardio fasted. Weight/circuit training, however, I always need fuel for or I run out of steam.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    1. Are you doing it to enhance fat loss? Then, no it doesn't.

What about in the case of extremely lean individuals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@trigden1991
    This may interest you (but it's about "trained" men rather than just lean...)

Further supporting the evidence in favor of fed cardio in trained men, Febbraio’s team investigated the effects of carb ingestion pre & during training in easily one of the best-designed trials on this topic [10]. Subjects exercised for 2 hrs at an intensity level of 63% VO2 max, which is now known as the point of maximal fat oxidation during exercise. Result? Pre & during-training carbs increased performance – and there was no difference in total fat oxidation between the fasted and fed subjects.

Taken from this article which also has some useful research links - http://www.directlyfitness.com/store/fasted-cardio-myths/

Also worth a read...
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7
  • mar_pow
    mar_pow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I'm gonna try it and see how it goes!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I typically will work out (running / rowing etc) fasted first thing in the morning but it's more a matter of personal preference in that I don't like running etc with food in my stomach. Typically most people will have enough glycogen stored to fuel 90 minutes or so of moderate exercise.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    I typically will work out (running / rowing etc) fasted first thing in the morning but it's more a matter of personal preference in that I don't like running etc with food in my stomach. Typically most people will have enough glycogen stored to fuel 90 minutes or so of moderate exercise.

Agreed.
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

^^ Keep up your active and healthy lifestyle!

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@trigden1991
    This may interest you (but it's about "trained" men rather than just lean...)

Further supporting the evidence in favor of fed cardio in trained men, Febbraio’s team investigated the effects of carb ingestion pre & during training in easily one of the best-designed trials on this topic [10]. Subjects exercised for 2 hrs at an intensity level of 63% VO2 max, which is now known as the point of maximal fat oxidation during exercise. Result? Pre & during-training carbs increased performance – and there was no difference in total fat oxidation between the fasted and fed subjects.

Taken from this article which also has some useful research links - http://www.directlyfitness.com/store/fasted-cardio-myths/

Also worth a read...
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Thanks for the links. I have read SFS by Lyle McDonald which utilises fasted HIIT/LISS combination cardio to maximise fat oxidation.

I think for 99% on this forum there would be no benefit and just down to personal preference.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think it probably doesn't matter or make that much of a difference one way or another.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio because I feel sick if I eat before I work out but I make sure to eat the first hour after my work out. It works for me :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

As you saw from subsequent answers, that's a special population. I had limited time to dash off an answer so I stuck to what was relevant to the OP's question. Knowing full well that if someone wanted to address the finer points, they would do so in the comments.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not really by design but I roll out of bed at 4:30 AM and run. I come back and eat a healthy breakfast. This also helps avoid a running induced bathroom (or lack there of) panic attack.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    There are several questions which always get lumped together and make most of these discussions pointless.

2. Are you doing it to enhance your performance for endurance events? Then it might have some benefit, but most people won't notice any difference.
    3. Are you doing it because you don't like feeling full or don't have time to eat before exercise? Then yes, you can often work out w/out eating, but that's a personal preference for the most part.

Since 95% of people who ask if fasted cardio "works" are referring to #1, then the short answer is "no".
    This. There's a lot of broscience on it "tapping" fat stores but the studies don't seem to support it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png