Help!

Options
Hello,
I've been using my fitness pal for a while now. I've moved from the UK to Cyprus and im finding it hard to find the products on the data base now. Do people just input any product if the one your using isn't on the data base?

Replies

• drivennightrunner87
    Options
    wait, the name of the product isn't coming up when you type its name in that search bar thingy to see its cals and stuff?
  • haleytaylor88
    haleytaylor88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wait, the name of the product isn't coming up when you type its name in that search bar thingy to see its cals and stuff?

No. Alot of Cypriot products aren't on the database.
    So I'm just wondering if you can't find that specific item do you choose one that is closest to it?
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Use the nutritional guidance on the products label. :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

So I'm just wondering if you can't find that specific item do you choose one that is closest to it?

If it's not in the database then you can add it, just make sure you put in the information exactly as it shows on the label. It's also helpful to put the country in the description, so others won't think the info is wrong.
  • haleytaylor88
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

If it's not in the database then you can add it, just make sure you put in the information exactly as it shows on the label. It's also helpful to put the country in the description, so others won't think the info is wrong.

Thank you. The issue I have is a lot of the nutritional information is in Greek :/
    I do however input when ever I can
  • fitlife07
    fitlife07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can just simply add it, just look at the nutritional information and key in those data. That's what I do when I can't find the food I'm looking for :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When a product isn't there I add it. That's how the majority of entries are created - by other users.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Thank you. The issue I have is a lot of the nutritional information is in Greek :/

The terms should be recurring. So if you spend a bit of time learning to recognize the equivalents for things like 'calories' 'carbs' ' protein' and such they should always come up again and again. Google translate should be able to help you with that (this coming from a translator who loathes google translate as it's unsuitable for technical translations). You probably won't have all the details (i.e. the ingredients) but it should help you get the general idea of how calorie dense something is and what its macro splits are. It's what I do for Japanese products. Not always easy working with a foreign alphabet... :wink:
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    at the nutrition label doesn't have English/Greek most of then have , almost nothing I eat wasn't already input so I had to put it my self but if you need any help translate maybe I can help you
  • haleytaylor88
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Tracking is so much more tricky here. I will take your tips and try them out
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options

That shouldn't be a problem. Learn the Greek alphabet. I mean, you're in a different country, thus adjust. Apart from that there's not much information on a nutritional label. With a bit knowledge of the Greek alphabet you can easy figure out what total carbs are, proteins and fat. That's a good start. It's always the same words as well, thus you can easily create entries in the database for your future use, and for other people. If you still think the alphabet is too complicated then take photos of the nutritional information from fairly pure products: oil has high calories in fats, sugar for carbs, some frozen meat or something similar for protein. Figure out the right words and work from there. Easy.