Massively over-ate yesterday AGAIN

Options
Every weekend, mainly Sunday, I eat about 3x what I normally would eat. Even when I'm full, I'm thinking about what I can eat next. I am really healthy during the week but because of this feel that Sunday is my day to get it all out of my system. I then feel rubbish afterwards and definitely think that this stops me progressing as I eat really healthy otherwise, and exercise, and haven't noticed any difference in months on the scales and in the way my clothes fit too.

I know people say to eat less during the week to make up for the extra calories, but I'd rather be able to control it. If I had a few treats during the week I genuinely think that I would still pig out on Sundays. I want to be able to enjoy a few treats without the need to over-eat and force myself to eat as much as I can.

What tips do you have to stop eating without needing to or even wanting to? If I could just tell myself 'do you want this' and not do it then that would be good but I ask myself and still go for it even though I KNOW I will regret it as I don't want it.

:(

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a habit and you're going to have to break it. Make plans for next Sunday that will keep you too busy to eat. Distract yourself. Go for a hike, or a drive, or go to a museum, whatever floats your boat.

Thing is, you can undo an entire weeks deficit in one big binge day, and that sounds like what you're doing. It makes the rest of your work for the week a bit of a waste. I'm speaking from experience!

But I find that once you get through that first time you don't do it, it gets easier the next time. But you're going to have to take control of the day.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for your own actions and practice some self control.
  • managementboy
    managementboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to do that. What helped me a lot was to have super low cal snacks at home that I then binged on. That way I satisfied my urge (scratched the itch) but did not have the calorie hit.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy :) I'm very good at going crazy on whole bars of chocolate, multipacks of Mini Cheddars, etc.! The things that are really helping me are Diet Coke - I love the fizz and the sensation, especially when out of the fridge; Granny Smith apples (again, fridge'd, and while YMMV on the type you prefer, I like the crispness of the Grannies); and fizzy water, sometimes with a Berocca dropped in as I like the flavour.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't had a bad cheat day in months but for some reason yesterday, my kids' Halloween candy was calling my name. Along with spinach dip, chips, pizza and Sprite. It was a bad day but it's over and I can't change it. I am back on track this morning and going to my exercise class in an hour. I'm guessing I will have a few days like this with the upcoming holidays. Don't get down about it. It's life. Sometimes when I get the urge to eat for no reason, I just find something to do because I know i used to eat out of boredom. Good luck!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do this too!!! I do find the easy access to food is part of the problem.

I'm off work at the moment and I have to make the conscious effort to not eat every time I walk in the kitchen, I wouldn't have this problem if I was in work as I'd have my lunch and snacks prepared.

As pointed out by one of the other posters it is a habit, and needs to be broken, good luck x
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Just need to discipline yourself a bit.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Either change your behavior and exercise some self control or create a big enough deficit during the week to negate the calories. Both work but you have to see which is best for you.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What do you typically do on a Sunday? If you don't really do much, you need to start planning to get out of the house and actually do something. So that you can't eat and you're not sitting around thinking about food!
    Something physical would obviously be good (walking, hiking) but if you fancy a day of rest, choose something relaxing.
    I only really 'binge' when I am bored which is why I give this advice.

Another tip would be to make sure you only have good stuff in the house so if you are going to the fridge for a snack, you're forced to have something decent.
    Have a big breakfast - eggs, bacon, tomatoes, brown bread - very filling but not necessarily bad if it's grilled, poached etc.

The only person that controls what goes into your mouth is YOU so really make an effort this Sunday coming to have a good day. Do each week at a time, don't worry about every Sunday in the future just the next one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    amyfearis wrote: »
    Every weekend, mainly Sunday, I eat about 3x what I normally would eat. Even when I'm full, I'm thinking about what I can eat next. I am really healthy during the week but because of this feel that Sunday is my day to get it all out of my system. I then feel rubbish afterwards and definitely think that this stops me progressing as I eat really healthy otherwise, and exercise, and haven't noticed any difference in months on the scales and in the way my clothes fit too.

I know people say to eat less during the week to make up for the extra calories, but I'd rather be able to control it. If I had a few treats during the week I genuinely think that I would still pig out on Sundays. I want to be able to enjoy a few treats without the need to over-eat and force myself to eat as much as I can.

What tips do you have to stop eating without needing to or even wanting to? If I could just tell myself 'do you want this' and not do it then that would be good but I ask myself and still go for it even though I KNOW I will regret it as I don't want it.

:(

you can manage what you eat Monday - Saturday, so what is so different about Sunday? it seems to me that you give yourself permission to eat loads, but now you're finding it is counterproductive.

so just stop doing it.

fit a small treat into each day instead of waiting for the weekend and then going totally crazy.

if you haven't lost any weight in months its simply because you're not eating in a deficit.