Need to sweeten my oats?

Options
2»

Replies

• mindlemoo
    mindlemoo Posts: 17
    Options
    I use brown sugar. it's only 15 calories for a teaspoon. I know that's not very much. It's around 50 calories for a tablespoon of jelly or jam. I use to like grape jam in mine when I was little.
  • mindlemoo
    mindlemoo Posts: 17
    Options
    you may even be able to find lower calorie jellies or jams too.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love honey in my oatmeal. Not necessarily the healthiest as far as sugar goes, but a little goes a LONG way and it's natural.

As another option, I'll mash a banana in my oatmeal and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. It's REALLY good.

This is exactly what I do. When you add the bananas in when the oatmeal is really HOT they tend to melt into it. So yummy. I usually only need 1/2 a banana too. And there's just something about honey in oatmeal that makes the world seem right.

I did this today with my vanilla coconut milk, walnuts, and 1/2 banana. I still added bs, but not as much. It was so filling I couldn't finish it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of flaxseed plus cinnamon.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions that I crave oatmeal (the good stuff, Irish steel cut), I add milk, honey, cinnamon, and whatever fresh fruit is lying about.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love stevia and truvia. Yes, they are different but I think they taste great. I used to put butter and brown sugar in my oatmeal but now I add blueberries and apple and a bit of cinnamon. It takes some getting used to but I love it. If I have a day where I need the sweet I go for honey or a pack of truvia. Good luck. Don't give up...you will find something that works for you!!! :happy:
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I typically mix mine with berries ( I love using the frozen triple berry blend from Schwan's because it also cools my oatmeal instantly enough so that I can eat it right away) They give it just the right amount of sweetness!

I have also used honey, which is pretty good.

Brown sugar was my old standby and over time I started using less and less of it.

I haven't been eating oatmeal for breakfast lately, but I think I'll have a bowl tomorrow!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I suddenly have the urge to run to the kitchen and make oatmeal...DARN IT !!!!

me too! lol.

totally my go-to snack when I've got leftover calories...like tonight...

usually just eat it with a half tsp. of regular sugar, a little skim milk, half tsp of butter, sprinkle of cinnamon...or sometimes just a spoonful of walnuts and dried cranberries and nothing else...yummm
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I usually put a packet of Truvia and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in my oats. YUM! I expecially like it when I have time to make the steel cut oats. Great flavor and I like the texture better than pressed oats.
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said, this probably won't work for you, but I thought I would share it just in case. I tried plain oatmeal and thought it was disgusting when cooked with water or regular milk. I would have to add a ton of brown sugar or anything to get it to taste even mildly okay, but adding all that seemed to defeat the purpose of eating plain oatmeal in the first place! I had some plain soymilk in my fridge, and decided to use that in my oatmeal one day, and I found that it made it sweet enough to eat plain with no added sweeteners. I have a huge sweet tooth, so this totally surprised me. Maybe it could work for you.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I like adding vanilla extract (*real* vanilla extract) and baking spices... I have the "five spice" mix you'd use for pumpkin pie or whatever... I find my steel-cut oats don't need anything when I've used these. However, if you can develop a taste for it (I kind of have, though I don't love it), blackstrap molasses add a terrific hit of iron with some sweetness. It's a really strong taste for early in the morning, though - the only strong flavor I love then is coffee - but in cold weather I like a hot breakfast instead of my usual yogurt, and I feel like I ought to get a hit of nutrients even if I'm eating a good carb, so I put the molasses on it.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I use Very Vanilla silk to cut the plain taste of my oatmeal. Helps me get in some calcium and vitamin D too since I can't drink regular or soy milk plain.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Since I started adding cinnamon to my oats, I've discovered I don't need nearly as much sugar to taste good to me. For my regular serving (1/2 cup before cooking), I add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of raw sugar. That's quite a bit less than 2 tablespoons, and yet it tastes plenty sweet. The cinnamon seems to bring out the sweetness somehow. Now I'm all excited for breakfast tomorrow!
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, tons of suggestions! I'm going to have to try some of them. Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I cook my porridge (oatmeal) with 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup skim milk and add a chopped up pear or apple for the last 30 seconds.
    Then a sprinkle of cinnamon on top - yum!
    The pear makes it sweeter than apple.
  • SusanFGarcia
    Options
    I have mine with no sugar but cinnamon instead.