Ladies who workout : what do you do with your rings?

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I lift weights, do kickboxing (wearing boxing gloves) and jiu jitsu (no jewelry allowed) so I take my rings off for all of those things. I have a water bottle with a carabiner clip on it so I just put my rings on the clip. I take the water bottle with me everywhere so there is no concern about losing them or having them stolen. I can slip them back on as soon as I'm done with my workout.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I workout at work, so can safely leave my rings well hidden in my locked office. That said, I've been leaving my wedding ring on for my cardio+resistance bands+bodyweight workout class and it's been fine. I wouldn't wear them to lift.

And I'm still waiting for my fingers to thin out enough to wear the whole set again. Am now 10 pounds lighter than when that was last possible. Apparently, pregnancy made my fingers fat (or swollen). :tongue:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't leave them in a locker

If I take them off I leave them at home

If I'm at the gym and have them I'll wear them and cope with the additional hand trauma, or ask my trainer to hold them, or wear gloves over them

But I wouldn't leave something that preciousi a gym locker
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Every metal known to man makes me itch. I had to stop wearing jewelry years ago.

Pity. I've shrunk back down to fit into my original size 4 engagement and wedding rings and now I can't wear them. (I wouldn't wear them to the gym.)

@GottaBurnEmAll - I have a friend who swears by paining the inner surface with clear nail polish. She says it stops her getting any reaction.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Every metal known to man makes me itch. I had to stop wearing jewelry years ago.

Pity. I've shrunk back down to fit into my original size 4 engagement and wedding rings and now I can't wear them. (I wouldn't wear them to the gym.)

@GottaBurnEmAll - I have a friend who swears by paining the inner surface with clear nail polish. She says it stops her getting any reaction.

I... can't imagine putting nail polish anywhere near a diamond ring. My wedding band has diamonds in it, and they're prong set in parts. The other half is channel set.

I have an awful picture from when it first started snugly fitting me again here:

pmlfbsu1r0um.jpg
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I take off my ring for weight training before I leave the house and keep it in its box. It gets in the way and hurts my finger when lifting, and my gloves don't fit over it anyway. I leave it on for running though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    I have a plain tungsten band as my wedding band. It stays on. In fact, the only time it has come off is for surgery.

I didn't want rings with stones that could become dislodged or catch on things or whatever, or something I'd have to worry about when I'm out and about being active.

So my engagement "ring" is actually a bicycle wheel which my husband built for me. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Do i just have sausage fingers or are our sizing systems different? I could have sworn i wear like double that size in rings.

Anyways, OP i would recommend wearing it on a necklace with you at all times. I don't trust putting my rings in my purse or in a locked locker. I know that might seem a little crazy but i'd rather have something so expensive with me at all times.

Not that i have a wedding ring, but i do wear a couple rings, earrings, and necklaces of high-value (sapphire, diamond, or amethyst) and I've had stuff stolen out of my locker and i've had my purse stolen before.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LEAVE AT HOME!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options

HAVE THEM RE-SIZED?
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I wear three rings - pinky, both ring fingers. I take them off when I do certain lifting, place them on the seat or on my water bottle, put them back on as I finish each exercise. They're simple rings, no stones, and rather thick. I keep them on for cardio and yoga. As I've lost weight, my wedding band has gotten quite loose, falls off when I'm dry or cold. If it happened when working out, I'd leave it in my wallet.

I like the idea of using a carabiner in the locked locker. The silicone rings are also a fantastic idea.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Do i just have sausage fingers or are our sizing systems different? I could have sworn i wear like double that size in rings.

Anyways, OP i would recommend wearing it on a necklace with you at all times. I don't trust putting my rings in my purse or in a locked locker. I know that might seem a little crazy but i'd rather have something so expensive with me at all times.

Not that i have a wedding ring, but i do wear a couple rings, earrings, and necklaces of high-value (sapphire, diamond, or amethyst) and I've had stuff stolen out of my locker and i've had my purse stolen before.

I know you're not speaking to me but I was just going to say, I have a size 4.5 ring finger and it's tiny. From what I can tell the average size is 7-8. I can never just go and buy a fun cheap ring, they don't offer them in my size, lol. If I want a ring that fits, it has to be one that I can get sized. Actually, my wedding ring can't even be sized small enough to my finger. The smallest they can size it with the setting still remaining intact is a 6 so I had to get a smaller ring sauntered inside of it (it was my MIL's ring). Which is why I bought a small, simple $90 ring from Walmart to wear at work.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I never take my wedding rings off. Bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc., never had a problem with them. However, some of my more dainty rings are no longer round. Ooops. I don't wear them much anymore because it's a pain in the butt and I'm afraid I will lose them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I swim and so take off my rings, earrings and any necklaces the night before. I come home after so I put it all back on then. If I forget my wedding band, I put it in one of my sneakers and stuff a sock down to the toe.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm not a lady, but I do have a wedding band. I take it off when lifting (especially dead-lifts but I just take it off for all sessions these days). It's a platinum band and therefore harder than gold but even so, I was getting marks from the knurling on the bar.

I take mine off in the changing room and thread it onto my car keys, which then get locked away in the locker.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a little clip in my back pack that I put them on- I frequently forget them there (Like today- I don't have my rings- but they are in the car in my gym bag)- but you absolutely shouldn't be wearing your rings to work out.

Take it off- put it in your bag- on your keys- somewhere safe.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I take my rings off. It's far too unsafe to lift with them on.

HAVE THEM RE-SIZED?

Uh...

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Don't lift with rings on. Google "degloving injury" if you want to see what could happen
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I put my rings in my gym bag I typically put them on my watch band and then fasten it so they are not jangling around loose in the pocket.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I put them on my keychain. Forgot to take them off once and felt like I was going to rip my finger off doing a deadlift. i have a keychain with multiple rings on it for each key and have an extra ring that I keep empty for my bands when I exercise.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-KRK-03-01-KeyRack-S-Biners/dp/B0037H7S6C/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1479133307&sr=8-27&keywords=hook+keychain