Why is whole grain bread so dry???

Options
westbrja
westbrja Posts: 111 Member
I don't mind the bits and pieces you find in whole grain bread, but what I don't like is the fact that it tends to be dry. I have tried several brands and it all tastes the same. Does anyone have another brand I could try that doesn't call for my sandwich to be chased with 20 ounces of water?

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Rye and Pumpernickel breads are great--still has sodium though but it is one of the best breads out there (but this is my personal opinion). Hard to lose weight on eating breads though.
  • mbonkowski711
    mbonkowski711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millies healthy goodness wheat is good, not dry it has good fiber and only 35 calories per slice! I love it:)
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    OMG yes I asked my husband the same thing the other night!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I mill my own flour and make my bread and it's always moist and lovely. See if you can find a local bakery that sells freshly made whole meal bread. Great Harvest is one around our area that does and they have very good bread. It's more expensive but it's very good.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love Oroweat Double Fiber Whole Wheat because it's so soft and not dry!! Prefer over almost any other bread :-)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread, or Dave's 21 Grain. both are sold at our Costco and our Safeway's.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Rye and Pumpernickel breads are great-

I choose the pumpernickel instead of the wheat its a few calories more ( depending on what brand) but soft and moist and yummy :) It is good too because I do not like the bits in whole grain bread.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millies healthy goodness wheat is good, not dry it has good fiber and only 35 calories per slice! I love it:)

That's what we have now and it's better than some other brands imo, but just not the same. You have to understand I'm coming from "stick to the roof of your mouth, horrible for you, but good ol Holsum White bread). I migrated to wheat a couple years ago and have slowly introduced myself to whole grains, but I have yet to find that one.

@taem - Yes I understand what you're saying about bread making weight loss difficult, but this is something I would never be able to give up and we're talking about me eating a few slices a couple times a week, not daily. I could not maintain on a low-carb diet :wink: I love rye but the brand I was eating was approx 160 cals for 2 slices vs 70 :sad:

@knittnponder - Oooooh the smell of fresh baked bread. YUMMY!!!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love rye but the brand I was eating was approx 160 cals for 2 slices vs 70 :sad:

The pumpernickel I have is 80 calories a slice so 160 for two. It is a little high and when you are on a low carb diet ( i am not) could make things rough. I hope you find what you are looking for :)
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farms 7 grain bread I don't find dry at all. 45 calories per slice.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I can tell you why they're so dry. I can't help you find one that isn't.

WHY:
    Because they use whole grain, that means the husk is still on the grain, keeping it from absorbing as much moisture from the other ingredients and puffing up during baking.

If you're cooking other food at the time, especially if your steaming something, try holding your bread slices in the steam for a few seconds.