Side stitches are killing me... help!

I am new to running and am currently using the c25k program and doing some other running along with cross training. I have never ran before aside from when I was a child but my biggest issue recently is no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of side stitches. I have looked online and tried everything I can find including not eating or drinking hours before running, side stretches, core building through exercise, deep breathing, good posture, etc. I am so frustrated because I know I could get way better time if I was not doubled over or having to slow down. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2016
    Running too fast and not breathing deeply enough?

Or dehydration if you don't drink before running?
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Running too fast and not breathing deeply enough?

Or dehydration if you don't drink before running?

I do not think it is too fast and I try to breathe deeply. It could be dehydration.. I have been not trying to drink before though because I read from many places it can cause the stitches.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Can you sing while you are running? If the answer is no, you are running too fast.

Drinking too much can cause upset stomach but drinking too little can cause all sorts of issues (none of them good). I would suggest drinking at least a glass of water 30 minutes before you run.
  • socialdchic
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Can you sing while you are running? If the answer is no, you are running too fast.

Drinking too much can cause upset stomach but drinking too little can cause all sorts of issues (none of them good). I would suggest drinking at least a glass of water 30 minutes before you run.

Ok, I will try that, thank you
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Slow down. You should be walking the walk portions as fast as you can and the running portions as slow as you can. The speed comes later. Right now your body is learning recovery and your body is adapting to the new exercise. I cannot stress this enough. Side stitches is your body telling you you are running too fast. :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

I love a good sing song as I'm running :laugh:
  • socialdchic
    Ok, I ate lunch at 12 and drink a big cup of water and had some coffee. Waited until 2:30 to run and got about 45 mins in mostly running, some walking but the running I did on the treadmill at a 5 pace, which seems so slow but I did not get a stitch.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    I take huge breaths in through my nose and slowly exhale through mouth and this always gets rid of my stitches
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    I had this problem when I first started running. Try putting your hand lightly on your belly to remind yourself to drop your abs and relax. Take a deep breath while you are doing this, then keep your hand there to prompt yourself to breathe out fully too.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    definitely agree on slowing down. it also can be helpful to time your breathing to your pace. for example, inhale for 2 steps, exhale for 2. some do it for three / two or other variations, but as long as your breathing is regulated and you're going slow enough you'll feel better i think.
  • juliagorina
    juliagorina Posts: 34 Member
    I like raising my arms up- it's an empowering fun pose, and usually gets rid of the stitch (even if just temp). It gets better after a while ✔️
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    i used to get them in the beginning too. try to go slower, and when they do occur, take a few deep breaths one after the other to make the stitch go away.i also do not drink any water beforehand.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Also when you're breathing your belly should be moving, not so much your chest and shoulders. Most people (according to my coaches in high school and my choir director) breathe wrong & don't get enough air when they are exerting themselves and get the stitches.
  • nassik
    nassik Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Contrary to what people say here, on a long run I manage side stitches by stiffening my abdomen and shallower breathing. When I get them I contract my abdomen muscles, breath with my chest and ribs, keeping my abs contracted as I run. Takes about 30sec to go away and you don't need to slow down. It feels awkward and difficult if you never done it but you develop a feel for it quickly and it works every time. Stronger your abs and contraction, quicker the relief

If you happen to run a long relay (let say "hood to coast") you are constantly sleep depraved and dehydrated. Side stitches and cramps are norm and you learn how to manage them w/o slowing down.