How to continue losing weight?

Options
Hi, there! I need some advice! Almost 2 years ago, I was about 235 lbs and made the decision to change my life and begin a health and fitness journey. I started out with absolutely 0 knowledge on health and fitness and this was probably the billionth time swearing to myself that I was for real this time about losing weight. I was 22, pre-diabetic, and had been overweight since about the age of 8. I come from a long line of obeseity on both sides of my family. For some reason, this time it just stuck. I lost around 10 lbs the first month completely on my own, and that was the deal my doctor and I made in order for her to prescribe me a magic weight loss pill to help me lose (Adipex). Adipex is a drug designed for weight loss in obese adults that can be perscribed for 3 months. Most adults lose around 15 lbs during the 3 months without changing their diet and activity level however, I lost about 30 lbs while on it because I was determined and with the help of MFP and my new found love for fitness, I had quite the success. Even after getting off that pill, I still continued to lose and make progress, which was a huge relief. I lost about 60-65 lbs my first 6 months and then hit the dreaded plateau. I didn't continue to lose again until around another 6 months later and ever since losing an additional 15 pounds very slowly the past year, my weight loss is just extremely slow, to where it's like I'm losing a pound every 2 months, if that... When I first started losing, the weight was melting off because I was going from a high calorie, high fat, high carb, disgusting diet and 0 activity to the complete opposite. I'm going on 2 years of an overall healthy lifestyle and I'm the queen at maintaining my weight, even if I have high calorie days weekly, but I cannot seem to lose. I'm so frustrated! I've learned a heck of a lot about health and fitness and weight loss in general so I know that I'm just taking in more calories than I'm putting out but my motivation to go back to logging every single meal and really stick to counting calories again is almost non-existent. Idk what's wrong with me. I do really well throughout the week but then the weekend's come and it's like I lose all self control then when I weigh-in during the week, I'm happy to see I haven't gained, but angry that I haven't lost. I'm currently about 155 lbs and I won't be happy until I'm 125 lbs. I want that 110 lb weight loss total. I won't be happy until I hit that. I work so hard in the gym and I've changed the way I eat completely and I know my problem is simple. Just eat 1400-1500 calories per day and no more, because when I stick to that throughout the week, I start losing, but Friday night hits and I'm making excuses and letting myself go until Monday again. I'm so irritated with myself because when I was way heavier and way more addicted to bad foods in the very beginning, my discipline was perfect and no matter how hard I craved, I could tell myself no and move on. What's wrong with me now? If anything, I feel it should be easier for me now to get back on track and easily lose the rest of this weight. I'm just so tired of being stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Idk what's wrong with me. I do really well throughout the week but then the weekend's come and it's like I lose all self control then when I weigh-in during the week, I'm happy to see I haven't gained, but angry that I haven't lost. I'm currently about 155 lbs and I won't be happy until I'm 125 lbs.

Sounds like you have your answer right here. You're wiping out your deficit on the weekend. Also now that you have a lot less to lose you're going to have to be a lot tighter with your logging in order to lose the weight - it's not going to fly off like it used it. Be sure you're using your food scale for all solids, measuring cups/spoons for all liquids, use accurate entries, use the recipe builder, etc...

Finally - how tall are you? 125 is a great goal for the shorties but if you're taller it might not be a reasonable goal.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on the weight loss .. no small feat .. sounds like you already have answer ..

I have been there before and hope to again .. long story ..

But i think those of us who have lost a lot of weight get happy where we are at .. there's lots of things I can do at 30 pounds overweight that I couldn't do at 90 pounds over weight . I kind of got happy in my own skin and didn't have the motivation to keep loosing .. I hope this time is different

GOOD LUCK
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You have been dieting for 2 years - that is amazing, I don't know how anyone stays motivated that long...I also vote for a break...eat at maintenance for a few weeks, see how you feel, maybe try adding in some new activities, or adding small amounts of the sinful foods you like during the week so you aren't giving in to cravings over the weekend...change it up...look for a new motivation that isn't as far away as 125lbs - maybe just the next 5 lbs or the next jeans size...a little goal that you can aim for once you are done taking a break...once you reach that goal you can always set a new one!!!
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Because you have problems on the weekends you could also consider banking calories during the week so you have more to spend on the weekend.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. If you like to eat more on the weekends then just face that fact and work around it. Eating light during the week so I can have high calorie weekends is how I lost weight and how I am maintaining it.

Since you are maintaining right now, just drop your calorie on weekdays a little bit, keep weekends the same, and you will lose.