71lbs to lose! OMG

Options
Determined to keep at this, 15lbs gone but 71lbs left for my ideal ... Feeling a bit daunted and could do with inspiration as I'm 'Billy no mates' on here.

Replies

• A_day_closer_to_my_new_life
    Options
    Hi I'm in the same boat. I have 89lb to lose and starting today but have no idea how to add people. I have one friend on here and they added me. My email address is ltkm1975@gmail.com
  • p0sitiv3_vib3s
    p0sitiv3_vib3s Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fitboyfat wrote: »
    Determined to keep at this, 15lbs gone but 71lbs left for my ideal ... Feeling a bit daunted and could do with inspiration as I'm 'Billy no mates' on here.

Don't worry it feels daunting when u look at the overall total just break it down into smaller goals. I started with a goal of 63lb I've lost 25lb so far but I set myself mini goals. Good luck :)
  • Fitboyfat
    Fitboyfat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement ... Hmgetwalw that is a fantastic achievement and very inspirational x
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What was your starting weight, where are you at now and what is your goal. Also, what are you doing to get there?
    For me.
    Start ~330 (scale didn't go high enough) beginning of Sept.
    Current 289.5 This is now with my 3rd scale. I like this scale better :)
    Short term goal was 285 by Christmas, but I'm going to blow through that much sooner.
    Long term goal is 220. Firmly in the overweight category (I'm 6'). I'm not looking beyond that right now. If I can know I'm just overweight, I'll be happy. Haven't been just overweight in over 20 years.
    Right now just using a treadmill. 25 minutes every morning and then 50 minutes while watching hockey, so every second day or so (but the Jets have a brutal November so it's been more than every second day).
    I need to do weight training but am at a loss as to how to start. I need to visit a gym, but I'm not ready.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

17% of the way there, you only have to do that 6 more times and you'll be within spitting distance of your goal weight

You just have to keep on keeping on
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

17% of the way there, you only have to do that 6 more times and you'll be within spitting distance of your goal weight

You just have to keep on keeping on

This is a great way of looking at it, it makes it seem less daunting. I only looked at 10 pounds at a time while losing, it does help.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Break your ultimate goal down into realistic, specific acheivable goals. For example 10 lbs by xmas and so forth. That makes the task seem a little less daunting.

Also for me (I have 76 to go) I look at this as how I have to eat for the rest of my life. So this is just another day in the life of eating. Of course I get impatient some times but if I keep focus on the fact that I will have to watch what I eat forever then it takes away some of the overwhelming feelings.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    15 lbs is great! Congratulations on your progress.

I've only been on MFP a few weeks. It really helps me to set small goals, not the final one. That way 1 or 2 lbs off feels like a real achievement instead of a small step towards my final goal. I joined at 171 (I'm five feet tall), have a goal of 166 by Jan 1 and I am already more than halfway there. A pound and a half left. Keeps me on track much better than saying I have 35 pounds to go. That extra slice or three of pumpkin pie won't make a dent in 35 pounds, but it sure is a significant piece of a pound and a half :D

I make small changes for slow weight loss because I need to change my habits permanently for the rest of my life. I have no wish to be yo-yoing up and down.

Friend me if you like, though I'm not too chatty.
  • druidsapprentice
    druidsapprentice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've an insanely long way to go too but hoping using this app will help. Add me as friend if u like! Have you tried the monthly challenge discussion. You put current weight - goal weight to lose in month then set 4 'weigh ins' eg every fri and post progress. Can help to have a real tangible goal to work towards. But set reasonable goals that you have chance of achieving eg - lose 4 pounds this months. If you do better great- if struggle then at least you won't be miles of target. Best of luck on the journey!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Any long journey is daunting if you view it think of it in its entirety (for example, I just read a news article about someone who walked across the country). The key in both cases is to take it one step at a time.

While your long-term goal is to lose 71 pounds, that is just 71 1-pound goals. Can you manage 1 pound? Great! Meet that goal, celebrate it, then move on to the next one. Don't focus on the huge, outrageous, audacious long-term goal, focus on the entirely manageable, not at all scary short term goals that make up that long term goal. Every step toward that goal is a victory.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Im down 56lbs in past 6 months another 30-50 to go -no real set weight just whenever i feel happy in my body :p- Feel free to talk to me :3
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 60lbs in a year and in total about 100lbs now.

You just have to start. There will be ups and downs, but a few months from now you'll be so glad you started.

Stick with MFP and use it properly and you'll see results.
  • nikastv2016
    nikastv2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP today. I want to cry that in 10 years, I have gained 160 lbs--and that's not any kids! Just depression, stress, and self-loathing that snowballed into a unhealthy blob.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP today. I want to cry that in 10 years, I have gained 160 lbs--and that's not any kids! Just depression, stress, and self-loathing that snowballed into a unhealthy blob.

First can I say, please change the way you think about yourself. You are not your negative thoughts and only you can change those. It's powerful to know that you can change negative thoughts to positive.

Thank your body for getting you this far then make the decision to stick to your calorie goals. Fit what you want to eat in your goals and play around with your macros to see what keeps you satisfied (protein, carb & fat at every meal keeps me satisfied).

Self loathing while understandable can only keep you in this rut. You are more than your weight!

good luck!
  • nikastv2016
    nikastv2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't focus on how long I have to go. I know my goal and I know where I am now and where I started at, but I don't run the numbers like I have x amount of lbs to lose. I find it gets overwhelming. I just focus on losing a pound a week, staying within my calorie allotment, and enjoying my life.

It's a journey not a race.
  • littlebritttfit
    littlebritttfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i know it's easier said than done, but try not to focus on the end game. make small goals, they add up! you can totally do this. just keep going.
  • kmilam84
    kmilam84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm way way overweight and I am miserable , I have counted calories and exercises in the past abd lost 40lbs but got confident and thought I could control my eating. I need to lose 75 pounds and it seems so far away!!