What are your macro-nutrient goals? carb/protein/ fat ratio?

Options
I am wondering what other people think about the default MFP 55% carb, 15% protein and 30% fat settings. Do you follow that default setting? Or did you change it ? If yes, what do you change it to, and why?

I definitely want higher protein intake than the default, but I am not sure what is the good level. I have read many places a guidance is 0.8 gram / body-weight kg for women. However , other places I have read that if you are active and excercise you need more than this, maybe 1g / body weight kg. I am ~97kg right now I have a 1630 cal/ day setting ( 1lb weekly loss). The 0.8g/ kg would mean a 20% protein, a 1g/ kg would mean 25% protein intake.

So I am wondering maybe a 45% carb, 25% protein, 30% fat is a good goal for me?

Also I think the default MFP sugar goal: 33g is extremely low. Today I didn't eat bread/ pasta etc, but only meat/egg/ veggies, a little bit of dressing ,1 cup of blueberries, and 1 cup cantalupe, which are one of the lowest sugar content fruits. Still my sugar was more then twice this limit. Obviously the only way to meet a 33g sugar intake limit is exclude ALL fruits, which I think is a bit extreme and neither healthy , neither realistic on he long run. I want to change my sugar goal to some realistic number, which still acceptable for weight loss. Any recommendation?

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump, I juggle this one too!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Mine are set at 35%/35%/30% or 105 grams carbs/ 105 grams protein/ 40 grams of fat.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Not that I ever stay under on carbs and fat or even come close to my protein goals. But that is what I've chosen :)
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    i have mine set to 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat and am haven great results that way
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do 40 carb/30 protein/30 fat and 30 grams of fiber. I don't count sugar, took it off my count list. I eat no white sugar or high fructose corn syrup, so counting carbs is good enough for me. I am losing around 9 to 10 pounds a month. Good luck!
  • lbudnick
    lbudnick Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree the ratios are not my ideal. Years ago I read about the Zone diet which advocated setting your protien requirements based on your muscle mass and activity (as you describe). From there you adjust your carbs and fat to the ration of 12g carbs, 9g protien, 2 g fat or roughly 50%, 40%, 10%. I always had trouble getting that much protien without breaking the fat limit but it was a good target.

I find that even though I have no trouble staying green on the MFP calories, I routinely break the default limits for sugar and sometimes protien because I eat a lot of friuts and vegetables and lean meats and dairy. I didn't know you could change those settings.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    By my research I've been following a diet 15% carbs 35% protein and 50% fat, consuming about 2100 calories. I adjusted the number of calories to make 35% protein equal 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass I want to have. It works crazy good. I monitor my weight, fat % and lean mass every day and have over the last 2 weeks alone lost 10% body fat and gained 19 lbs of lean mass.

I attribute the success to staying away from polyunsaturated fats and consuming about 50% of my fat as saturated fat. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, all modern research points away from all the hate crimes they accused saturated fat of for the last 50 years and to the new facts that are proving saturated fat was the good fat all along.

Eat your meat, veggies and nuts!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    By my research I've been following a diet 15% carbs 35% protein and 50% fat, consuming about 2100 calories. I adjusted the number of calories to make 35% protein equal 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass I want to have. It works crazy good. I monitor my weight, fat % and lean mass every day and have over the last 2 weeks alone lost 10% body fat and gained 19 lbs of lean mass.
    Wow 15% carb?!? Do you able to eat any fruit on that level?
    I tried to increase my protein level lately, and I generally eat lean meat, but I had hard time to significantly increase protein without increasing the fat. Obviously increasing the fat % is not that of a big deal.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Mine are set at 50/15/35, but I don't even pay attention to carbs or protein. I just try to get as close to my fat allotment as possible without going over. It's where I feel and function best.

I don't pay attention to sugar either. My fruit fiendishness would kill that.
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have mine set to 50/25/25 and 3200 calories on workout days and 2800 on non lifting days
    400c/200p/90f for the most part, 90% of my fat is good fat and I get in 1g of protein per pound, lots of carbs and protein after my workout
  • Smartpiper
    Options
    How can I change these? I am new but really love this site!! I would like to change my ratios tho. Thanks!!!
  • beedo30
    Options
    Go to "my home" click goals, scroll down and click change goals
  • jlgladfelter
    Options

I attribute the success to staying away from polyunsaturated fats and consuming about 50% of my fat as saturated fat. I know it sounds crazy but trust me, all modern research points away from all the hate crimes they accused saturated fat of for the last 50 years and to the new facts that are proving saturated fat was the good fat all along.

Eat your meat, veggies and nuts!

I think you have a typo there. If you gained 19 lbs of lean mass in two weeks you are on your way to becoming the greatest body builder of all time.
  • beedo30
    Options
    Agree its physically impossible go gain 20 lbs on lean body mass in two weeks and actually, 15 lbs is about the most you can add in a year. People don't understand how hard it is to add muscle
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a little different than most... but I drink a lot of protein shakes and watch carbs.

Mine is set at 30% carbs, 50% protein, 20% fat
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    40% protein/30% carb/30% fat