So how do I get...

Options
How do I get my wife to get into fitness? Any suggestions? She walks around going on about how I'm "Melting away" and she's "Getting fat". She said she wanted Zumba, got it, she wont use it. She walks for a few miles a couple few days a week, but that's really not enough. Shes just maintaining weight at this point by a thread. I cant get het to give up pastas or sodas (though shes cut down on soda). I've tried everything I could think of. Yoga, anything.. she A) refuses to workout with me, as its "embarrassing".

So anyone got any tips? Ideas? Whos been in this boat? Howd you get your partner on board with you?

Replies

• JessigirlJb
    Options
    Offer her Insanity.. Its a 60 day work out that produces a years worth of results (it claims.) Who could resist that your body melts without changing your diet. And once she is in a regular routine of working out she will be hooked. Then maybe she'll decide to change her diet on her own.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is really anything you can do to get her into fitness. She has to want to do it for herself. Maybe shes just taking baby steps for now and after watching your success and better eating habits she will want the same for herself? I have a similair situation with my other half! Hes naturally skinny however he's lazy! (and i mean it in the nicest way possible) I can run circles around him! He also eats so much food and every night eats half a container of oreos!! Which doesnt make it easy for me since im counting calories and exercising! I try to get him to exercise to get in shape and not be so lazy but he wont. I actually think hes starting to get annoyed with me because im constantly talking about calories, exercise and cooking/eating healthier but its whats important to me! Just hang in there and continue with your goal! I think eventually she'll come around! Good Luck!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Well I now only weight about 10 pounds more than she does and shes vowed to not be with anyone who weighs less than her heh so either I'll be single or maybe this'll snap her into action. It just drives me NUTS hearing people ***** all the time "Im fat, I want to be healthy" and yet don't do anything about it. Its not as hard as people think.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well I now only weight about 10 pounds more than she does and shes vowed to not be with anyone who weighs less than her heh so either I'll be single or maybe this'll snap her into action. It just drives me NUTS hearing people ***** all the time "Im fat, I want to be healthy" and yet don't do anything about it. Its not as hard as people think.

Its funny how women think like that!! Im the same way with the weighing more thing too although i always seem to be attracted to the tall and slender which then drives me nuts when they weigh less then me! So i believe that will snap her into action because i know it would get my butt moving! I agree with you on being aggravated when people complain and whine they need to lose weight but do nothing about it! That was me for the longest time and i'd start working out and watching what i ate a little bit but never committed and always gave up! So hopefully this time i wont! Im very motivated though and seeing everyones success on here is wonderful motivation!
  • oldbutnotover
    oldbutnotover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I faced the same dilemma with my husband. The key for him was weighing himself every week with me and then us comparing how much we'd each lost. Every time he'd stay at the same weight I would reassure him that was exactly what happened to me over the course of my weight loss. I'd stay the same for a week or so and then the weight would come off. I told him the key was not to gain anything. He seemed encouraged by this.

We also allow ourselves one day a week to 'indulge'. This makes it easier to not indulge on the other six days. And we keep junk food out of the house. I don't ever make him feel as if I don't find him attractive just the way he is. I talk to him about weight loss only in terms of his being healthy, fit, and around for me to enjoy for a long time.

It took awhile, but he came around.

Hope this helps.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    be frank, word for word, "if you want it you have to work for it." i think that's honestly the best you can do without her twisting it around into something offensive.
    and for her to leave you just because you got healthy and she refused, is not fair to either of you.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    okay i do have one other suggestion, but you may not like it...get a reaaalllly hot dude trainer for yourself, in your house, in her presence, even if you don't need one. if she thinks he's hot she might actually want to train with him. :D or at least he may say or do something that will motivate her even if it's not directed at her.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    How do I get my wife to get into fitness? Any suggestions? She walks around going on about how I'm "Melting away" and she's "Getting fat". She said she wanted Zumba, got it, she wont use it. She walks for a few miles a couple few days a week, but that's really not enough. Shes just maintaining weight at this point by a thread. I cant get het to give up pastas or sodas (though shes cut down on soda). I've tried everything I could think of. Yoga, anything.. she A) refuses to workout with me, as its "embarrassing".

So anyone got any tips? Ideas? Whos been in this boat? Howd you get your partner on board with you?

Next time she says something about her own weight that is a complaint/negative, you could try responding with
    "I love you at any size, but honey, you sound like you don't love yourself, how can I help?."
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    try to get her to do active things with you...swimming, paintball, bike ride....make it about the two of you!
    be active together!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but only she can get herself into fitness.

You can offer situations that are inviting to her... that are attractive to her...

can you tap into her sense of adventure? Maybe not gym home workout stuff, but maybe she'd like rock climbing or something fun to do together.

maybe you could plan a vacation full of physical adventure together, where you could let her choose half the activites and you the other half- and she might love it of you offerred to personally help her get ready cause there is no one else youd rather have all this fun with?
  • sbantonio
    sbantonio Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to walk on my hands. My family is getting involved. Somewhat. Lol8wvpb27imabj.jpg