1 meal a day

Options
anyone have weight loss success eating dinner only ? I read about some military guy doing it and something about the long fast period being healthy ?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's a success story in the success forum from a guy who lost an astounding amount of weight only eating once a day. You'd just need to make sure you got all your calories in in that meal, and not have it result in under eating.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. I prefer several smaller meals. A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit!
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There's a success story in the success forum from a guy who lost an astounding amount of weight only eating once a day. You'd just need to make sure you got all your calories in in that meal, and not have it result in under eating.

This.

You still need to get all your calories from that one meal.

I also second this! Meal timing is a personal preference. As long as you are getting all of your calories/nutrition from that meal, it doesn't matter if you eat all the foodzzz in one sitting or throughout the day.
  • chinakat72
    chinakat72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dr. Jason Fung has done some great research into how our bodies react to fasting. Here is a link to a general page, but his website is full of data and advice. I'm having great success. And you can adjust how long you fast (23 hr fast would be what you're talking about) and how often. Good luck! https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-regimens-part-6/
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in 3months doing this but not as a strategy I was just a busy college student! My one meal was usually chicken tenders, a veggie burger, a bowl of Chinese food, and milk. Sometimes a quesadilla or pizza. Average activity of walking around, no exercise regimen.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You'd get that lovely "I'm full" feeling that you don't always get when you spread out your food. And you'd have less opportunity to cave and over indulge. Fewer times to have to remind yourself that it's time to stop eating. But is it sustainable? Are you building habits that will continue working in maintenance?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My guy does this, eats just once a day. He works a job that involves going to clients' houses and he can't just warm up food or buy it so he eats a huge dinner in the evening. He says you can get used to it. I dunno, I get hangry after 4 hours.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My guy does this, eats just once a day. He works a job that involves going to clients' houses and he can't just warm up food or buy it so he eats a huge dinner in the evening. He says you can get used to it. I dunno, I get hangry after 4 hours.

You can certainly adapt. I was at a meditation retreat in Thailand where we were only given 2 meals/day. Breakfast at 8 and lunch before 12. Unless medical conditions prevented it. I could have eaten one of the stray dogs that first week. By the second week, it was fine. I don't generally do that at home, because I wouldn't be able to get appropriate nutrition (for me).
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who lost a lot of weight by eating one fast food meal a day plus all the beer she wanted. It wasn't about meal timing but CICO.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    anyone have weight loss success eating dinner only ? I read about some military guy doing it and something about the long fast period being healthy ?

That was General Stanley McChrystal. Retired 4-star who only eats one meal a day http://www.wearethemighty.com/gen-stan-mcchrystal-one-meal-2015-07
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have tried this before. There are no magical health or fat loss benefits. It's just a way to adhere to your calorie goal. Plus you get to enjoy a massive meal.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's everyone you all had great tips, opinions, and links. I think I might benefit from it because small tastes sometimes makes me want more or even a small chocolate to balance out the taste buds! Then I have to go home and eat with the family. I do agree with a protien shake if I get hungry that's a great tip and I can make that 100-210 calories !!! Thanks I'm going to give it a full try see if it works for me
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is over 1700 a day and quite high protein, I don't think I would be able to eat that many calories in one sitting. Well not without adding a lot of fat or sugar and then I wouldn't hit my protein goal.

Good luck though! It's all about finding something that works and what we can stick with. Maybe this will work for you :smile: