Got my first P session tomorrow...What to look out for?

Options
Hi Everyone

I've finally plucked the courage to book in with a Personal Trainer as I want to start introducing weight training into my daily exercise routines, I currently just attend classes (Bodycombat, GRIT, Spinning, Kettlebells) but 1) I'm kinda getting bored with the same routine/classes every week and 2) I've been wanting to introduce weights for a long time but just never had the courage to do so....

My question is to all those who already have/had PT sessions is there anything I need to look out for in terms of making sure THEY know what I want and not what they want, I just don't want to end up with someone who just wants my money!

Kel

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What would be best is attend the session and then report back what they told you to do regarding diet and training.

Many PT's are amazingly knowledgeable, many are full of bro-science rubbish.
  • kmaf2016
    kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    OK then, I will do that, I haven't paid him yet as he said we need to see how well we train first haha! or I might not actually like him.

I just don't want someone who tells me what he thinks I want to hear! I want him to help me achieve my goals, my goal at the moment is to become confident and knowledgeable with the weights themselves, of course I also want to use weights to change my body but I cant do that if I don't have the confidence to use the weights etc...

Kel
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Would suggest not getting in a long term arrangement until you know that you can work with the person

Also before you touch a weight he should do an assessment to see how you move.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My very first session with a PT we spent quite a lot of time with him taking notes and checking what my goals were. We then spent quite a bit of time looking at form and making sure I was doing everything correctly. Then he got me to do a 30 minute workout which was a KILLER!! lol. But when I walked out of there I felt great, like I had done a great workout. He was supportive throughout the work out and pushed me on but without being too cheesy (you are doing so great!) or being too tough (get on the floor and give me 20!) haha.

I don't go to that gym any more but if you find a good PT and can afford it then I am sure he would help you hit your goals :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tell him your goals, and see what he says about how to achieve them... report back!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    is there anything I need to look out for in terms of making sure THEY know what I want and not what they want

Explain to them your overall goals and why you want to lift weights. Also tell them any preferences (variety vs. simple workout, exercises to do at home, etc). Keep in mind that if you're trying to lose fat, fat loss can't be targeted, so expect a balanced, full-body workout that doesn't emphasize your "problem areas". But also avoid trainers who give the same workout to everyone. :+1:

• MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Tell him, talk to him, explain what you want...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OK then, I will do that, I haven't paid him yet as he said we need to see how well we train first haha! or I might not actually like him.

I just don't want someone who tells me what he thinks I want to hear! I want him to help me achieve my goals, my goal at the moment is to become confident and knowledgeable with the weights themselves, of course I also want to use weights to change my body but I cant do that if I don't have the confidence to use the weights etc...

Kel

Tell the trainer exactly this! Have fun!