middle aged, post menopausal woman ISO support to lose 35 pounds

Options
Hello! I am new here. I've struggled with weight issues since I was 12. My mom was always obsessed with her weight, which caused me to constantly worry about my weight even though I was never really overweight as a child. I have a history of yo-yo dieting in my 20's and 30's, but then became quite healthy in my 40's. I became a vegetarian and found that I really enjoy running and riding horses. For several years, I was able to work with horses for a living and thus was very active and easily stayed fit. Unfortunately, life circumstances changed and now I only ride one horse a day and do not really do any of the chores usually associated with horse care. I also spend several hours a day sitting for work and driving a total of about 2 hours a day to get to the barn and back. I now have fat in places I've never had fat before (mostly belly!) and am struggling to get back into shape. I've started going to the gym and doing weights and cardio and am trying to watch what I eat. As we all know, it's not always easy. I know I can do it because I've lost weight and been fit before, but it just seems harder now that I am getting older. I hope this group will offer support and guidance.

Replies

• Neecee911
    Neecee911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! I'm new here too and looking for support, motivation, ideas. There's no other choice but success for me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    here
  • Seamus3520
    Seamus3520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here. Vegetarian, up and down my whole life; ran three half marathons recently (only lost about 5 pounds in a year...), then got injured and am now back up those 5 pounds during PT and rest. Back at it now. Not looking to be get to my 30 year old weight, but 10-15 pounds would be nice. It's ABSOLUTELY harder now that we're older ... I'm 54.
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Seamus, I've also run half marathons and had a calf injury about 2 weeks before the last one I signed up for and then just never got back into it. Currently I have a broken toe so running is out of the question for now. When I am running consistently, I feel great. Unfortunately, whenever something happens and I take a break from it it takes me way too long to get back into it! I'm currently focusing on weights, the rowing machine and the bike at the gym. I'm really enjoying the weights and the rowing machine, but the bike doesn't seem to do it for me. Until my toe heals and I can start running again, I'm going to focus on gaining muscle and watching what I eat.
  • jodymcnulty
    jodymcnulty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello.....I am middle aged, losing weight for health...need a friend too....
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I found this article interesting, as right now with my broken toe I can't do my usual running. I have a friend who has lost a ton of weight and looks amazing who has told me to pick weights over cardio when I'm short on time. If it worked for her, I'm happy to follow her advice! http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/public/cardio-versus-weights-for-fat-loss.cfm
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So great to log in and see a thread with menopausal in the title! I'll be 49 next week, and well into peri-menopause. Although I still exercise regularly, it's with less frequency, yet I'm still eating like I was 20 years ago. It's with absolute desperation that I am here - looking for support, accountability, and somewhere to track my food intake. I love to eat, and I was shocked to discover I've put on 15 pounds this year. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and to help motivate and inspire one another.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Just happened to see this post and wanted to pop in and welcome you to MFP and wish you all the best in what you have set out to accomplish for yourselves! and while everyone on MFP has their own particular challenges. post menopausal weight loss has some doozies LOLOL...

I absolutely think it's a group is a great idea; I credit a lot of my success to my own group, having others around me who were at the same stage of life and life experience, and seeing each other succeeding and being supportive of each other really helps those "moments" (and hot flashes burn at least a few calories btw ladies... yay lol)

Also just an fyi there are lots of groups on here for peri/post menopausal and 50+ women; I can post a few links to them if anyone wants but my only unsolicited advice is to maybe pop into a few and read some of the threads; there is lots of good information and people willing to help and knowledge is power right :) And sometimes its just nice to cruise around and see that you aren't alone in your own particular struggles LOL

Congrats on making the decision to come to MFP too!!

• Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    Just happened to see this post and wanted to pop in and welcome you to MFP and wish you all the best in what you have set out to accomplish for yourselves! and while everyone on MFP has their own particular challenges. post menopausal weight loss has some doozies LOLOL...

I absolutely think it's a group is a great idea; I credit a lot of my success to my own group, having others around me who were at the same stage of life and life experience, and seeing each other succeeding and being supportive of each other really helps those "moments" (and hot flashes burn at least a few calories btw ladies... yay lol)

Also just an fyi there are lots of groups on here for peri/post menopausal and 50+ women; I can post a few links to them if anyone wants but my only unsolicited advice is to maybe pop into a few and read some of the threads; there is lots of good information and people willing to help and knowledge is power right :) And sometimes its just nice to cruise around and see that you aren't alone in your own particular struggles LOL

Congrats on making the decision to come to MFP too!!

Thank you! I'm still trying to navigate the boards would love some of those links.

• cnurenasue
    cnurenasue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm in the same boat. I know EXACTLY what to do to get in shape and stay in shape, but I just don't do it. With the holidays approaching, I think support is essential!
  • Snooozie
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If it's any consolation Baydogger.. I was completely overwhelmed when i first came MFP.. information overload.. and there are so many people touting this way or that way is the only way.. CICO, low carb, TDEE, whatever .. my head was spinning and i'm pretty sure i tried em all at some point. That said, there are so many people willing to help don't be afraid to ask questions (and ignore the trolls that will inevitably want to have their say) and read as much as you can on the boards - and you will all figure out what works for you personally. Having the support of others tho who can relate, and support and encourage - and who are actually succeeding really helps. I'll dig up the links and post them - you don't have to join the groups you can just go in and "lurk" and read the posts btw.. lol.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    OMG! You sound like me!! (although I'm 52) I'm vegetarian, recently got into activity of all sorts (although there is no exercise quite like mucking stalls and pushing a full wheelbarrow up "manure mountain"...I wish I had time to do that now). Currently, I own a 17'3" Trakehner mare...hoping to take her Grand Prix. I've lost 55 lbs in 2016, at my doctor's advice, and would like to lose 45 lbs more, just to get back to where I was most of my life. Also, my previous (awesome) trainer told me that every 10 lbs you lose, it makes it that much easier for the horse. :smile: Over the past year I've developed some good life skills in terms of diet and health, and it makes me happy. I'll send you a friend request. Good luck to us all!!
  • MaggieMuffin1
    MaggieMuffin1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, crimsongrey and everyone else. I am on a similar journey. 58 years old, menopausal, runner, cyclist, golfer, etc. Over the past 5 years the pounds have crept on and now have 40 to lose! IT band, knee and shoulder injuries have made it a little more challenging to be active but, I admit, sometimes that is just an excuse. Much easier to stay home & have a glass of wine in the evening! Bad habits overtaking the good ones. :s
  • Snooozie
    edited November 2016
    Options
    p.s. just an fyi for any newbies.. there is a little star up at the top of this page, right at the end of the title - if you click on it so it goes yellow, you can "follow" this thread easily and will get notifications when someone posts in it.. might be handy to find your way back to it :)

and here are the links to some of the other groups in case it's of any help

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10474774/women-ages-50-for-november-2016/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6894-menopausal-mad-hatters

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1
  • Seamus3520
    Seamus3520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seamus, I've also run half marathons and had a calf injury about 2 weeks before the last one I signed up for and then just never got back into it. Currently I have a broken toe so running is out of the question for now. When I am running consistently, I feel great. Unfortunately, whenever something happens and I take a break from it it takes me way too long to get back into it! I'm currently focusing on weights, the rowing machine and the bike at the gym. I'm really enjoying the weights and the rowing machine, but the bike doesn't seem to do it for me. Until my toe heals and I can start running again, I'm going to focus on gaining muscle and watching what I eat.

I'm not sure I'm replying correctly, but you're right -- once you fall out of practice running, it's AWFUL to get back into it! I'm sucking wind after three miles, but I'll plug along. I really enjoy it. (OMG, I can't believe I said that...) And you're right about the horse thing, as well - I joke that the horse girls in my circle have NO problem staying skinny and strong! Good luck with that toe!

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Anyone, feel free to add me as a friend. Vegetarian here (but I welcome anyone with any lifestyle), over 50, lost 30 pounds since July 2016 and have 10-15 to go. I keep my food diary private so I'll stay honest, but will be happy to let you know what I eat.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Bump
  • loripotshepp50
    loripotshepp50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Anyone, feel free to add me as a friend. Vegetarian here (but I welcome anyone with any lifestyle), over 50, lost 30 pounds since July 2016 and have 10-15 to go. I keep my food diary private so I'll stay honest, but will be happy to let you know what I eat.

Hi ! I'm new today . my name is Lori I'm 53 I've had such a hard time losing since going through menopause . I am back on track ! Congrats on your weight loss .