Samsung Gear/ gear 2 vs Fitbit Surge

Options
Hi guys I currently have a fitbit surge but have found it doesn't always log my steps and flights of stairs. I have noticed I'm having to reset the device quite regularly now to get it to work properly. It's less than a year old. So I was wondering if anyone used the Samsung Gear and how reliable they have found it?

Thank you

Replies

• MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the answer to your question is

TomTom Spark cardio.
  • natashasiddall331
    natashasiddall331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it! Will look it up on my break. Thank you
  • mo2go
    mo2go Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have the FitBit Alta. There seems to be problems just now with updates so it might be the cause of the lack of battery. I have had a Fitbit since 2013 and do like them. Slowly but surely I find it just makes you feel better for hitting your target so it makes me work a little harder. Have never used any other device.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Gear as well as a FitBit One. I have found the Gear is woefully inadequate for tracking steps, but also found that true of any device worn on the wrist. I don't always swing my arms when walking, especially if I'm pushing a cart or carrying stuff, so the FitBit One (worn in my pants pocket) is much more accurate. I use the Gear for receiving phone and text messages (I'm not an addict about always having my phone with me at all times), and my FitBit for step counting. Before the FitBit One, I used a Fitbit Zip. I prefer the One.

Note: I often mentally count my steps, then check the FitBit. It's right on. Frustrating as heck currently with connecting to FitBit's website, but hopefully that's a temporary problem.
  • natashasiddall331
    natashasiddall331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input and help
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've had the Galaxy Gear 2 and it was not good for tracking fitness or steps at all. I switched to the Garmin Forerunner 235.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    I have a Samsung Gear as well as a FitBit One. I have found the Gear is woefully inadequate for tracking steps, but also found that true of any device worn on the wrist. I don't always swing my arms when walking, especially if I'm pushing a cart or carrying stuff, so the FitBit One (worn in my pants pocket) is much more accurate. I use the Gear for receiving phone and text messages (I'm not an addict about always having my phone with me at all times), and my FitBit for step counting. Before the FitBit One, I used a Fitbit Zip. I prefer the One.

Note: I often mentally count my steps, then check the FitBit. It's right on. Frustrating as heck currently with connecting to FitBit's website, but hopefully that's a temporary problem.

You have it backwards.
    Gear (and other decent gps watches) is alot more reliable to calculate calories burned as it can calculate accuratly from distance, speed and elevation.

How many steps you have in a day says really nothing about how many calories you burned from those steps.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    z4oslo - we will agree to disagree, perhaps. B)
    I'm using my Fitbit to count steps, that's it. I use their calorie burn estimate only as a very general guideline (and it does actually use a variety of 'active' minutes vs casual minutes to calculate that burn, as well as personalized step distance, etc). I'm challenging myself to walk more, and FitBit is a great tool for incentive to do so. I don't eat back many, if any, of the calories FitBit 'gives' me.
    Gear still is inadequate for STEPS (not referring to calories, distance, or elevation).
    For those who want heart rate, etc, FitBit is not enough. It's great for many of us though.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit hr to track my heart rate and steps. I measured my steps and entered it in on the app for better accuracy. The calories it claims I burn are ludicrous, so I don't even look at that anymore.