I could use some advice..

Options
I'm in need of advice or just support. I lost 120 pounds with calorie counting and running and was happy, my smallest, and a healthy normal weight! Then I got pregnant with my 4th child, I gained about 40 pounds back. My child is now almost 2 and I still have those 40 pounds to lose. I have been calorie counting off and on for the last 6 months. I wasn't strict because everytime I stuck to it for a week and saw no change I admit I got discouraged. I have now been strictly counting for two weeks and trying to stay around 1200 calories. I know the last time I did well toward the end when I was small by staying around 1300-1400 calories a day, but even at 1200 I'm barely seeing any change if at all. I've lost nothing at all this week and I am feeling so lost and discouraged because I am staying strict with calories and even running 4-5 miles 4 or 5 times a week. I have only been back at running for two weeks so I am hoping that will help kick my weight loss back in gear. I just struggle with this because counting calories and running was no problem last time! The weight melted off. This time it seems like it doesn't want to budge and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I feel so defeated. I have a feeling 1200 calories is probably not the right amount but I have no idea how many to eat so I am staying safe by staying low. Could these 40 pounds be so hard to lose because I don't have as much to lose as before? I just can't figure out why it's going so slow and the weight doesn't want to come off. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    how much has MFP allocated for you? ive just had to cange my rate of loss to 1lb per week. i have 2.5 stone to lose which is about 35lbs.. i exercise 3-4 times a week, and i suffer from hypothyroidism.
    i would trust what mfp gives you hun.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MFP calculator tells me 1200 calories. I've only been running for two weeks. I've calorie counted off and on for about 6 months.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    do you use your exercise cals?

and what rate of loss are you on?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Consistency gets results, on & off doesn't.

Also 1200 is TOO LOW for most people, especially with only 40 lbs to lose. Try 1300 to 1400 like you did before and worked- I'd say 1400 to start. Sometimes going too low in calories puts stress on the body it crashes the metabolism.

You've had a baby so your hormones are different now. You're also older than the first time you lost weight which makes a difference. It's also harder to lose weight each time you do it because the body realizes what is happening and adapts more quickly.

Just eat at 1400, be consistent, and be careful not to eat back too many exercise calories. Stick with that for at least a month before you decide if it's working or not.

Also remember the less weight you have to lose the slower it comes off- you won't see huge losses every week, but even 1/2 pound is progress. Keep going.
  • tschaff04
    Options
    I have it set at 2 pounds per week, and I've been eating most if not all of my exercise calories back.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged. The weight comes on so easy and comes off so slowly.

With that being said, I have two questions for you.

1. Can you please walk me through how you are logging? How do you determine portion sizes? Using a food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing portions?

2. When do you log your intakes? Do you wait until the end of the day to log and try to remember what you have eaten? Plan your day in the morning or log as you eat?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    tschaff04 wrote: »
    I have it set at 2 pounds per week, and I've been eating most if not all of my exercise calories back.

2 pounds per week? How much do you currently weigh and what are you stats?

eta: on and off logging and no consistency is not gonna reap the proper results.. With that said, if your profile pic is somewhat current, 2 pounds per week is way to aggressive rate of loss goal.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Firstly you haven't lost weight because you weren't consistent with your calorie deficit.

Moving forward, set MFP up with a maintainable goal (probably 1lb/week), eat your calories and you will lose weight. You need to stick to your calories consistently to see any results, one day of eating what you want could cancel out your whole weeks efforts.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Also is your diary open to the public so we can take a peek?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    2 pounds, per week's too aggressive; for 40 pounds! I have 50 to lose & I am aiming for, half that!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Firstly you haven't lost weight because you weren't consistent with your calorie deficit.

Moving forward, set MFP up with a maintainable goal (probably 1lb/week), eat your calories and you will lose weight. You need to stick to your calories consistently to see any results, one day of eating what you want could cancel out your whole weeks efforts.

This.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

eta: on and off logging and no consistency is not gonna reap the proper results.. With that said, if your profile pic is somewhat current, 2 pounds per week is way to aggressive rate of loss goal.

Second that, and seeing your profile pic, not sure you have extra 40 lbs on your body. What are your stats, op? And current and goal weight?
  • nsh1984
    nsh1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What is your BMR calculation?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OP, please be careful jumping into running that far and that frequently when you have not run in a long while. You are setting yourself up for an injury.

I can guarantee you part if not all of the reason you're not seeing any loss the last two weeks is water retention from the damage you've done your soft tissues, which is probably substantial. I know I gain a couple of pounds when I start running again after a month layoff. I gather from your post it's been a lot more than a month or so since you were last running regularly.
  • tschaff04
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Please don't get discouraged. The weight comes on so easy and comes off so slowly.

With that being said, I have two questions for you.

1. Can you please walk me through how you are logging? How do you determine portion sizes? Using a food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing portions?

2. When do you log your intakes? Do you wait until the end of the day to log and try to remember what you have eaten? Plan your day in the morning or log as you eat?

I use a food scale and measuring cups, yes. I log things as I eat them. Thank you for the encouragement. :)
  • tschaff04
    Options

I weigh 167 pounds. My profile pic is of me pre baby #4 at 145 pounds.
  • tschaff04
    Options

Thank you for the honesty. I know this, I'm not new to the game unfortunately and have calorie counted for years. I guess the discouragement came when I was sticking to it strictly for almost three weeks without any loss and actually gained a few ounces. I know I have to be consistent and stick to this. I'm definitely trying from here on out! Just hoping to see results at some point.
  • tschaff04
    Options
    2 pounds, per week's too aggressive; for 40 pounds! I have 50 to lose & I am aiming for, half that!

I am seeing that repeated often. I guess I was thinking too aggressively. I have changed it to 1 pound a week and it says to eat 1500 calories. That scares me a bit! lol
  • tschaff04
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

Second that, and seeing your profile pic, not sure you have extra 40 lbs on your body. What are your stats, op? And current and goal weight?

I'm almost 5'5", I weigh 167 pounds currently. Picture is pre baby #4 and I weighed around 145 pounds. My ultimate goal would be 120-125.