Wellbutrin Weight Loss

Has anybody been on Wellbutrin medication for depression and lost weight too ?

I just started three weeks ago and notice some decrease in appetite but I am taking it for PTSD mainly. I see an increase in energy too but I have not yet weighed myself.

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I took it for a about a month. It made my stomach hurt.
  • artesianwater63
    artesianwater63 Posts: 4 Member

I do not see any negative side effect yet. It is working well but it will be a huge bonus if I lose weight too.
  • petiteandsweet91
    petiteandsweet91 Posts: 22 Member
    Has anybody been on Wellbutrin medication for depression and lost weight too ?

I just started three weeks ago and notice some decrease in appetite but I am taking it for PTSD mainly. I see an increase in energy too but I have not yet weighed myself.

I've been on it for quite a while now, I have PTSD too as well as other issues. I don't really see an increase in energy at least not at the moment, I used to have a little more energy but I've had some physical issues too.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member

I do not see any negative side effect yet. It is working well but it will be a huge bonus if I lose weight too.

I know a few people who have had success with it. It just didn't do it for me. I ended up taking Lexapro for a while which really helped.
  • rayqd2
    rayqd2 Posts: 6 Member
    I don't know if it ever made me lose weight per se. I've been on and off it for years. Typically, the handful of times that I've started back up on it, I've had increased energy to go to the gym, cook and eat well, etc., so in that sense it helped me lose weight. But I take it for depression that makes me specifically lethargic, soooo...

I don't think it's a silver bullet, basically.
  • jeffbeckinc
    jeffbeckinc Posts: 7 Member
    Doing Wellbutrin currently for a few months now after switching from Lexapro. There was a significant drop in appetite for me and I lost a majority of the weight that I had gained from being on Lexapro for over a year. I wouldn't say there is an increase in energy but I do know that if you are prone to anxiety, it could amplify that as a negatively. That is the only thing Ive noticed as a possible side effect since I am taking it primarily for anxiety. Lexapro worked really well for me but the weight gain was a real turn off for me.
  • artesianwater63
    I notice I am in better control of myself too. I am making better food choices and not feeling agitated with hungry. I have been eating a lot of salads too. I no longer feel like I have cancer though so it might be a good thing.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I lost most of my weight while on wellbutrin, lyrica, propranolol and yasmin.

calorie deficit is all that matters.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I dropped a few pounds really fast when I started on Wellbutrin, then it slowed to normal. I've been on it for about 18 months and haven't found it impacts my weight either way at this point.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I thought I answered this but maybe it was another Wellbutrin thread? So, sorry if I sound redundant.

I am really sorry for what you're struggling with. I am thinking of you.

I tried Wellbutrin for depression and also to try to quit smoking. It made me nervous and really, really angry. I do think this is very individual. I have heard of people doing amazingly well on it. Take it per your doctor's recommendation and see how you feel on it.

For weight loss, it did make me less hungry, I remember noticing that.
  • baby_bokchoy
    baby_bokchoy Posts: 61 Member
    I also started Wellbutrin three weeks ago! I'm on it for depression. I started at 75mg, and noticed a a bit more energy. In terms of weight, I had just got back on the wagon a week before starting, and since then I've lost about 10 pounds. I've also started drinking a huge amount of water, though, and taking all my vitamins and getting lots of fiber, so I feel the Wellbutrin has given me a new determination, but isn't the cause of the weight loss itself. I've just upped my dose to 150mg today, so hopefully I keep seeing the energy increase and find some relief from the depression.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I love that Wellbutrin is a little speedy - helps motivate me to be more active. It is by far the best antidepressant for me of the many I've tried.
  • artesianwater63
    It has been a month I am on Wellbutrin and it is helping me eat healthy and I have much more energy. Better focus too. I am taking 300 mg XL bupropion. I see a huge decrease in my appetite too.

Please consult your doctor before taking any medication. It has helped with my depression and OCD too.