im so sad, darn runners knee

Options
So I'm pretty sure I have a case of runner's knee, caused by patello tendon. I'm going to set an appointment with my doctor. For now I bought a knee strap. The knee strap completely stops the pain. When I bend my knee I can feel the pop of the tendon moving, that doesn't happen in my other knee. I think I'm going to stop running for now. I have two months of Insanity to do as soon as I get it. I'm finally at the point where I enjoy exercise just to possibly be told I have to stop. Aggghhh!

So, I am hoping my doc will say, just where a knee brace and stop running on tar! I'm just sad and wanted to share in case any others had any recommendations! Feel free to cheer me up!

Thanks,
Jen

Edit I don't think it is a shoe problem. I wear nike frees that were fitted by my local running store.

Replies

• cardioprincess
    Options
    Did you ever try a foam roller? I find when you roll out your IT band it alleviates the pain in your knee. A lot of times the rolling out is missed in training...hope you feel better!
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like IT Band Syndrome to me. Battled with that last year and it resolved with stretching and switching to interval training for a few weeks. Good luck! But DON'T try to run through the pain.
  • sreece13
    sreece13 Posts: 12
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't call myself a runner, but I do really enjoy jogging to get in cardio. I was having some problems with shin splints a couple weeks ago. I, like you was really upset about not being able to run and was worried I would fall out of my routine. I started riding a stationery bike for 20 or 25 minutes and then jumping on a treadmill for a shorter, lighter run of about 15 minutes. For one, I was surprised at how many calories I was still burning on the bike. Also, giving my legs a bit of a rest for a week or so has made such a difference. Just a thought....Everyone always tells me I should do the elliptical because its less impact. So thats definitely an option too. Good luck!! I wish you a fast recovery :)
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask my doc about both the runners knee and the IT band. We will figure it out! I'm hoping I can still do Insanity at least, but there is so much jumping with it. Just frustrates me. :(
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Something similar has been happening to me as well :( I've been taking it easy and not running much the last couple of weeks and I've started taking a joint supplement but I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about it too! I hope your pain gets better soon!