Accurate?

Options
I got my new polar last week and I did pilates with it on and it said I burned 263 in one hour! Then today I did the treadmill and it said I burned 180 calories in 18 minutes which is MORE than what the treadmill itself said. The treadmill said I burned 105 calories. Is this really accurate? I thought the treadmills would be over estimating calories burn. I don't know who to believe! Also I didnt do a crazy workout. I walked, jogged, walked, jogged etc...

Replies

• candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I got my new polar last week and I did pilates with it on and it said I burned 263 in one hour! Then today I did the treadmill and it said I burned 180 calories in 18 minutes which is MORE than what the treadmill itself said. The treadmill said I burned 105 calories. Is this really accurate? I thought the treadmills would be over estimating calories burn. I don't know who to believe! Also I didnt do a crazy workout. I walked, jogged, walked, jogged etc...
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I trust mine, if you want you can go to caloiecounter.com and they have a page where you put in everything, they you can compare there
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "they" say go by the tredmill....
  • candycaneps
    Options
    "they" meaning most people on this site have said that equipment says you burn many more calories than you really are.
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    I would go by what your heart rate monitor says... you could have two people doing the same exact workout and one person who is 300lbs and one who is 150lbs... the tredmill will read that you are both burning the same amount of calories HOWEVER... the person weighing 300lbs is actually burning more... they have to push them selfs more to keep up then the 150lbs person... your heart rate monitor is the most accurate thing to go by :flowerforyou:
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says trust your HRM, not the treadmill.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Go by the polar....it goes by your personal stats that you put into it (age, height, weight,etc.) Most treadmills just use a generic formula that lumps everyone into one category.
  • candycaneps
    Options
    Thanks. It's just crazy to me because everything I read on here people were saying that the treadmill was saying they were burning more calories than they actually were. However, for me my HRM says I am burning more calories than my treadmill says.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Your HRM is more accurate. The treadmill generalizes everyone into one lump category, even if it asks for your weight. It has no idea what your current level of fitness is, or how hard your heart is working. If you are out of shape, you'll burn more in less time than a conditioned athlete because your heart has to work a lot harder. I would trust the HRM because, I assume, you've entered your age, gender, weight and probably a resting heart rate as a baseline, correct?
  • candycaneps
    Options
    Yes, I did enter my weight, age etc into the Polar. Everything it asked! =D the treadmill asks for weight and age.