Over 130 pounds to lose...need friends and motivation!

Hi fellow MFP folks!! Ok so I am recently re-starting MFP for the 3rd time and am really looking to stick with it this time...well more like I don't have a choice! I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life and not only has it taken a toll on my ability (extreme back injury and knee problems) but my depression is also at a lifetime high and I am now scared that I won't be around much longer if things continue on the way they have been.

I don't have a lot of support and am looking to add friends for guidance and motivation and most of all people to go through and celebrate this journey with. So any advice, tips, or encouragement is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!! :)

Replies

• laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Well, you are at the right place. Tons of tools and encouragement to go along with your life-style changes. Take it one day at a time, be accountable, learn and educate yourself, set small goals to reach your big goals and enjoy the process. You will learn a lot about yourself! I have lost over 100 lbs, so it is totally doable. Best of luck to you!!
  • larryc251
    larryc251 Posts: 143 Member
    You can totally do it! You are taking the right steps and in the right place.
    Since I've started I've lost 61 lbs and still got 55 lbs more to go
    I'll send a req
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Hi there! I have 130lbs also to lose!
  • MARILYNENA
    MARILYNENA Posts: 53 Member
    The timing is perfect begin with simple goals that make you feel good. Start by walking in place or at a slow pace that feels comfortable.....make sure you keep track of your calories, stop eating that unhealthy food and slowly but surely you will loose the weight! Congratulations!
  • Jmgris1
    Jmgris1 Posts: 55 Member
    Feel free to add me. I have lost over 100 lbs. so far and am still going strong. I started this journey in January of this year (2016) and the key is to track and log everything you consume. I agree to start slow with walking; I could only do 10 minutes at 2 mph when I began and now I do about 4 miles every morning. You can get to where you want and need to be if you make the decision and commitment to do so. I have an open diary if you want to see the type and quantities of food I consume. Welcome aboard (back) and the best of luck to you!
  • OrlaKane339
    OrlaKane339 Posts: 50 Member
    Hey so I still have about 130lbs to lose too, I started at 348lbs and I've lost 19lbs in 41 days. I've eased back into my exercise however I did overdo it a few weeks ago and I'm now carrying a knee injury. I've also had 5 prolapsed discs in my back so I know all about limitations in terms of particular types of exercise.

I'm sure with the support of the awesome MFP community you can totally regain control of your life.

Initially if you want to just focus on your food then that will give you positive results to start with. I have only done limited exercise for the past 2 weeks and last week I still managed to lose 1.9kgs/4lbs because I compensated for lack of exercise by focusing on my food and sticking to my calorie allowance.

We are all here to give you hints & tips but I would ask you to think about why you want to lose the weight???

Quite simply, what's your why?? This is your driving force, your motivation and the thing that keeps you busting your *kitten* even on bad days. Make sure it's something bloody strong because there will be great days but there will be days that are hard.

Feel free to add me, I'm always looking for more friends so we can support each other on the long road ahead!!!

Now chin up and get cracking on the new you!!!!

Cheers

Orla
    112517 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm also restarting. I have 115 pounds to lose and like you, feel that I have to make changes now. I'll send you a request :)
  • sbz113z
    sbz113z Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you all so much for the encouragement!!! It means so much anf I'm feeling really inspired!!! Can't wait to continue on this journey!
    kaneorla wrote: »
    Hey so I still have about 130lbs to lose too, I started at 348lbs and I've lost 19lbs in 41 days. I've eased back into my exercise however I did overdo it a few weeks ago and I'm now carrying a knee injury. I've also had 5 prolapsed discs in my back so I know all about limitations in terms of particular types of exercise.

I'm sure with the support of the awesome MFP community you can totally regain control of your life.

Initially if you want to just focus on your food then that will give you positive results to start with. I have only done limited exercise for the past 2 weeks and last week I still managed to lose 1.9kgs/4lbs because I compensated for lack of exercise by focusing on my food and sticking to my calorie allowance.

We are all here to give you hints & tips but I would ask you to think about why you want to lose the weight???

Quite simply, what's your why?? This is your driving force, your motivation and the thing that keeps you busting your *kitten* even on bad days. Make sure it's something bloody strong because there will be great days but there will be days that are hard.

Feel free to add me, I'm always looking for more friends so we can support each other on the long road ahead!!!

Now chin up and get cracking on the new you!!!!

Cheers

Orla

That's awesome that we are in about the same place!! Thanks so much for all the encouragement!! If I had to put a "why" on it right now, it would simply just be living. Seriously I'm only 5'3 and with 330 pounds on this frame, my whole way of life is being affected!!! So I'm going to keep pushing and trying and taking the good with the bad.

And that 19 pounds is AMAZING!! Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait til I am able to exercise full out again. With my back being so messed up I can barely walk around the grocery store without it going into spasms :-/.
    I did find this really good seated exercise routine on youtube that I actually got a good work out from! Here's the link to the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI. It's actually a whole series and it's pretty good, at least I think so. Something good for the interim with injuries or for anyone with limited mobility period. But I hope your knee mends quickly!!

Well I can't wait to keep following up with you and seeing how your journey is progressing! Thanks again for adding me :smile:
  • sbz113z
    sbz113z Posts: 13 Member
    Jmgris1 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me. I have lost over 100 lbs. so far and am still going strong. I started this journey in January of this year (2016) and the key is to track and log everything you consume. I agree to start slow with walking; I could only do 10 minutes at 2 mph when I began and now I do about 4 miles every morning. You can get to where you want and need to be if you make the decision and commitment to do so. I have an open diary if you want to see the type and quantities of food I consume. Welcome aboard (back) and the best of luck to you!

Whoa 100 pounds is ASTOUNDING!! That is seriously amazing congratulations!! You are definitely a source of inspiration. Thanks so much for the tips and the invite to check out your diary, I will definitely do that!! Keep up the FANTASTIC work and thank you for the invite!
  • OrlaKane339
    OrlaKane339 Posts: 50 Member
    @sbz113z - awesome, great minds think alike. I tried that workout a few weeks ago. Certainly gets the heart racing!!! Go you!!!

I should mention, I lost 95lbs from June 2014 to August 2015, however I then got my miracle (long story), I got pregnant and regained all of the weight. My baby boy is now 6 months old so it's time for me to get back to where I was and keep pushing.

I know what I need to do but am loving the support and friendship on MFP, makes this journey easier.

So stick with me buddy and we'll burn those lbs together.
  • cglaser1206
    cglaser1206 Posts: 5 Member
    Jmgris1 wrote: »

• cglaser1206
    cglaser1206 Posts: 5 Member
    What do you say to the cake your friends have brought to celebration something you did?
  • jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 28 Member
    Good luck on your journey. We are the same age and after going through a bit of a life crisis last year I'm doing this for me. Feel free to add me on here, pretty sure my diary is open, I'm not in a hurry to lose it this time I just want it to be liveable. :smiley:
  • healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    I also have 130 to lose. Feel free to add me to help each other on our journeys.
  • KellyT46
    KellyT46 Posts: 4 Member
    Starting over need to lose over 100 pounds...looking for friends please feel free to add me.
  • cheycoxe
    cheycoxe Posts: 2 Member
    Hey there! I just read your post and saw you have back and knee problems...my mum has the same, her problems are genetic and she swears by the book "pain free" by Pete egoscue, it has stretches and exercises that have helped her a lot, it's about $20 on eBay. I hope this helps, and good luck! If you ever feel like you need motivation or just someone to talk to feel free to message me, I know how difficult this journey can be, and I love helping people out where I can. All the best, and remember, you can do anything you put your mind to!!! ❤