Will pushups make my arms bigger?

Options
My arms are too big will some dang push ups help. Anyone know how long the average person sees results?

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I do push ups, I usually feel it in my chest, not my arms.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    nope!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ha you are getting contradictory info coz i would say yes, i am just about to get back to them coz they tighten and tone upper arms as well as your chest, depends where you place your hands i find as to where takes the strain. they can only do good, give them a try!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If your arms are too big, they are most likely too fat. Work on losing fat via cardio and eating better. Push-ups will not seriously add arm muscle mass. To add real mass, you have to be eating a calorie surpluss, which I'm assuming you're not if trying to lose weight.

Either way, push-ups are a valuable exercise to do and will help your overall fitness level!
  • smokesone
    smokesone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This depends if your male or female, and if there are the appropriate hormones reqiured to build muscle. Most men who do body weight exercise will see an increase in size and this will increase depending on the amount of overload and type of exercise performed. With women they it is not a normal response to specific exercise, women will see a tightening and toning effect this normally means a reduction in size. It is also an old wives tale that specific exercise target weight loss in specifc areas, such as sit sit-ups removing fat from the mid section. and press-ups the arms. WIth regards the press-up as an exercise I agree with clioandboy. there are many different press-ups that try to work on a specific area. If the press-ups you perform are when you place your hands around shoulder width apart, the prime mover is your pectoralis major muscle and a variety of other muscle fix, hold and support the exercise. I would say keep doing the press-ups and other exercise and with any weight loss programme you will see results!!! The body will normally see defined changes between 6 and 8 weeks, but you will feel the difference within 2 to 4.

I hope this help!