Any good sweet potato recipes?

Options
janaejwhite
janaejwhite Posts: 1 Member
I'm just tired of the same mashed or roasted sweet potatoes (especially since I honestly don't like them that much). I want to love them, I really do, but I just don't know what to do with them besides above. Any ideas?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why eat something you don't like? They aren't necessary
  • kittypush477
    kittypush477 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be honest at first I didn't like sweet potato but I started eating it in my salads boiled chicken and a sour type of salad dressing making the potato really good
  • bloblondeangelcindy
    Options
    Sweet potatoe chips.. l cook in an airfryer.. love them
  • BigGMK83
    BigGMK83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1 cup, chopped, Onions, raw
    2 cube, Chicken Stock Cube
    600.00 ml, Tap Water
    8 Tbsp., Red Curry Paste (adjust to taste, this amount makes it pretty spicy)
    400 ml, Coconut Milk (can be replaced with light coconut milk)
    400 gram, Sweet Potato

1. Sweat off the onion until translucent.
    2. Add the curry paste and let it heat through for a minute or two to release the flavour in the spices.
    3. Add in the chopped sweet potato - the smaller it is chopped, the quicker it cooks through obviously.
    4. Add in the stock cubes and water, bring to the boil and simmer until the sweet potato is cooked through.
    5. Take off the heat.
    6. Add in the coconut milk.
    7. Blend until smooth.

Makes 3 large portions, 381 calories per portion.

From there you can season with lime juice, add shredded chicken ...
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can take any recipe for pumpkin and use sweet potatoes instead. Some people even use sweet potatoes to make soups. You can also use carrots recipes for souffles or carrot cakes and replace the carrots with sweet potatoes.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have never been that excited but my friend sliced them really thin on a mandolin and then laid them out in a 9x13" pan like a deck of splayed cards. Sprinkled w/ olive oil, salt & fresh rosemary and roasted until soft. They were delish, I had two servings and I've made them myself. I even like the leftovers
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and apples. Dice sweet potatoes and cook and add diced apples when the sweet potatoes are cooked about 3/4 of the way done and sprinkle with cinnamon and honey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I like 'em baked with pineapple chunks and walnuts (the latter portioned within reason, of course), or in either salad or soft tacos with black beans & whatever other ingredients sound yummy (onions, roasted sweet corn, queso fresco, avocado, or whatever).

This recipe for Sweet Potato Peanut Bisque is really delicious, IMO, too: eatingwell.com/recipe/252458/sweet-potato-peanut-bisque/
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This recipe is really easy, and even with my kid who doesn't like sweet potatoes loves it:

Really Easy Slow Cooker Mixed Bean Chili

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
    1 can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
    1 can corn, drained (or frozen corn if preferred)
    1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2" pieces
    1 jar of your favorite salsa
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    Optional: 1 lb browned ground beef/turkey or pulled chicken/pork.

Mix in crock pot and cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Toss in olive oil, cinnamon & cumin. Roast on a rack at 400F -- preferably with convection fan running -- for 30 minutes. If you don't have a rack, cook on an oiled sheet pan and flip every 10 minutes to cook evenly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You can make gnocchi with them. Cook (microwave or bake in the skin is best to keep them as dry as possible). Mash, season, mix in a little flour - just enough to make a very soft dough that is possible to handle - then roll into sausages and cut each sausage into pieces (they will come out like little pillows).

Cook briefly in boiling water until they float and serve with any pasta sauce or just with grated cheese.

They are very soft and easier to handle if you freeze them after cutting, then you can cook them from frozen.

Also, try mixing mashed sweet potato half-and-half with mashed normal potato. It's a pretty colour and the sweet potato reduces the calories and gives a nutrition boost, but the normal potatoes give a better texture than just sweet potato on its own.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I disliked sweet potatoes for most of my life because they were just too sweet for me. I finally figured out that when they are roasted AND mixed with other roasted veggies, I LOVE them! The char from roasting along with mixing them with other less-sweet vegetables is a winning combination. I'm obsessed with this recipe right now (I think I've posted it in another thread somewhere). We've been having it a couple of times per week. It is also kid and husband approved.

I substitute sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes and onions for the shallots. I use balsamic vinegar instead of balsamic glaze. I also leave out the olive oil at the end and decrease the honey by half. All of this lightens it up and I think it tastes even better with these changes. One last tip: I always roast vegetables for much longer than the recipe suggests. I like them super charred and crispy.

http://keviniscooking.com/easy-roasted-vegetables-with-honey-and-balsamic-syrup/

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I disliked sweet potatoes for most of my life because they were just too sweet for me. I finally figured out that when they are roasted AND mixed with other roasted veggies, I LOVE them! The char from roasting along with mixing them with other less-sweet vegetables is a winning combination. I'm obsessed with this recipe right now (I think I've posted it in another thread somewhere). We've been having it a couple of times per week. It is also kid and husband approved.

I substitute sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes and onions for the shallots. I use balsamic vinegar instead of balsamic glaze. I also leave out the olive oil at the end and decrease the honey by half. All of this lightens it up and I think it tastes even better with these changes. One last tip: I always roast vegetables for much longer than the recipe suggests. I like them super charred and crispy.

http://keviniscooking.com/easy-roasted-vegetables-with-honey-and-balsamic-syrup/

I tried roasting them with and without other vegetables. It just concentrates the sweetness and makes things worse. I guess I'm just destined not to like them :disappointed:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I tried roasting them with and without other vegetables. It just concentrates the sweetness and makes things worse. I guess I'm just destined not to like them :disappointed: [/quote]

There is no recipe on earth that will make me like raw onions. Sometimes we just have to raise the white flag!
  • kuhndog61
    kuhndog61 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ok, may sound weird here but here goes:

Place in a COLD OVEN directly on the rack (after scrubbing and poking with a fork). Then place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack directly below the rack the taters are on (to catch the drips).

Turn the oven to 425 degrees and cook for one hour. Turn the oven off and let the potatoes sit in the oven for another hour (I've left them for 3).

They will now be little bundles of warm, soft, sweet, joy. THEN try a slice COLD. Tasted like pumpkin pie to me. Good luck!!
  • mandakaye889
    mandakaye889 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cut your raw sweet potato up into cubes and put them in a ziplock or tupperware.
    Add some olive oil, red pepper, and brown sugar. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes.
    Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 40 minutes.

I like to use chili powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar and do the same thing. A sweet and spicy flavor. It's wonderful