new scales , confused

Options
so got my new scales , when i first got them i was 175 ish and now back to 185 ish i have ate basically all my daily cals since i got them and yesterday my salt intake was over first time in ages could this be why its gone so totally bonkers ?

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Whats the time gap between 175 and 185? Im pretty sure you have not put on 10lb! Never! I would guess its the salt.

I would drink plenty of water and keep going for a week and see how it goes. x
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    i dnt think i can put that much on in one day :L can go up bout 4 pounds at most but i really hope it isnt going to stick at 185 two weeks with no weigh in and now for it to go back up 3 pounds neh not cool
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Have you weighed yourself in the same place? My scales don't work on carpet so I can only weigh myself in the bathroom. If I weigh myself anywhere else there is a 20lb difference!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    are the scales drastically different?

i got some new ones with odd feet, if it isnt perfectly flat i can get some very odd numbers which i know arnt right.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Are they digital?
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Never in 1 day! Have you still got the old scales? what do you weigh on them?

If the are diff to your old scales you havent put on any weigh - its just the scales. x
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A few things could be happening here.

Yes, the sodium is likely part of it.

It's also possible that you wouldn't weigh the same on the new scale as you would the old one. When I bought my new scale, I weighed 4 pounds heavier than on my old one. I added those 4 pounds to my start weight so that my ticker didn't get messed up, but I still wasn't too happy that I weighed 4 pounds more than i had thought I did!

Scales will display different weights on different surfaces. You want the scale on a hard, bare floor and at the most level spot you can find.

Most digital scales do not need to be calibrated these days, but some still do. Check the information insert that came with your scale to check whether you need to calibrate your scale or perhaps have to tap it before you step onto it.
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    my old scales tell me i am 9 pounds ... so they are defo not right , im going to keep them on the same spot and check in the morning. i really do not want to be back where i started i think it will just make me feel worse because i think im doing well i exersice i eat right (mostly) and i feel smaller
  • xXHeatherRaeXx
    xXHeatherRaeXx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had an old dial scale that showed me 10 pounds lighter than the new digital scale I had to upgrade to. My new digital scale has now been named "El Diablo." :huh: It's really discouraging to see such a weight difference when I thought I was actually in the 170s instead of 180s after I bought them, but I had to just keep on keepin' on.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    do you have a 5 or 10 pound free weight that you could sit on the scale to see if its reading correctly for that since its a fixed weight and you already know what it weighs so if the scale is off it will easily show