Is soup purely food, or can it be classified as a drink?

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
I searched it up first but couldnt find anything, so im asking you guys opinions!

Im on a liquid only fast.
To cleanse my body of fast food, and to help build a healthy relationship between me and the way i eat. (Eating when im not hungry, craving crappy foods, etc).

So i was wondering.. Is soup a solid or a liquid..
I mean is it food, or can it be classified as a drink?
I dont mean like beef broth, chicken and mushroom or anything.
I mean like plain tomato soup, etc with no food chunks or stringy bits..

what do you guys think?

Replies

• VICKY_83
    VICKY_83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would class it as food ..:happy: :smile:
  • VICKY_83
    VICKY_83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would class it as food ..:happy: :smile:
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    well, usually liquid diets, at least when drs perscribe it b4 surgery or sutever they want CLEAR liquids, so broths, jellos, sprite etc.
    so i think thinks like tomatoe soup, it depends what you think. BUT if u decide its ok, id stay away from cmeamy soups, make sense?
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    liquid only diet to build a healthy realtionship ... seems like a crazy fast fad diet but its what works for you go for it and erm guess it would count id rather see you eatting 3 healthy meals full of fruit veg and whole grains but soup is better than just jucie i guess
  • Helice
    Options
    well, usually liquid diets, at least when drs perscribe it b4 surgery or sutever they want CLEAR liquids, so broths, jellos, sprite etc.
    so i think thinks like tomatoe soup, it depends what you think. BUT if u decide its ok, id stay away from cmeamy soups, make sense?

does make sense!!
    sucks a little though.
    I wouldnt of minded a nice soup lol..
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think a liquid only fast is a really bad idea!

BUT if you insist on doing it, liquid diets encourage fruit and veg juicing but not soup. Some do allow clear broths. I don't see why you can't heat up veg juice though! "Plain tomato soup", assuming you mean cream of tomato, if you get it out of the can, is probably the worst thing you could eat, and if you make it yourself is full of cream.

If you want to establish a healthy relationship with food, you should ditch the fad diet, go to the supermarket and load up on healthy REAL FOOD! That way, you're starting today on something you can do for the rest of your life.
  • Helice
    Options
    What do I think? I think a liquid only fast is a really bad idea!

BUT if you insist on doing it, liquid diets encourage fruit and veg juicing but not soup. Some do allow clear broths. I don't see why you can't heat up veg juice though! "Plain tomato soup", assuming you mean cream of tomato, if you get it out of the can, is probably the worst thing you could eat, and if you make it yourself is full of cream.

If you want to establish a healthy relationship with food, you should ditch the fad diet, go to the supermarket and load up on healthy REAL FOOD! That way, you're starting today on something you can do for the rest of your life.

If i could just do that i would,
    iv thought long and hard about this.
    and it really seems to be the only way i can think of it working.
    and its not a fad diet or anything, i didnt hear about it off anyone.
    and its also not purely food related.
    its also for religious reasons i like to semi-fast like once a year...
    so please dont be judgemental about my food choices =/
    i just wanted to know if i could eat soup or not..
    lol.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Seems if you are doing it for religious reasons you would know if you could have soup or not. If you believe you need to do a certain diet shouldn't you know what that diet is? Not a sustainable diet but to each his own I guess.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Clear soups -- can count as liquid but may be negated if they are super high in sodium.
    Creamy Soup/this meaty soups like chili -- count as food.

Tomato soup is tricky -- its can be pretty high in sugar/sodium so just read the label.
    You could add some greek yogurt to make it creamier and give you more protein/nutrients.
    I could count tomato as food :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    some pretty non-helpful and judgmental replies above. bleck!

do you count smoothies made from whole fruit and yogurt as a liquid? or fruit drinks like 'naked' or 'odwalla'? or v-8? or fresh-sqeezed orange juice? if you do, then why would tomato soup be different?

i understand the desire to fast. when i am liquid fasting during lent, i will consume water and half my calories with 'real foods in liquid form' (smoothies, soups, liquid jello, milk, etc). i don't want to be drinking processed juice (sugar!) and chicken broth (gross!) to show my submission/repentance. i have found it really beneficial in breaking some food addictions.

liquid fasting is a great way to fast! hth.

edit: i also will eat liquified broccoli cheddar soup during a liquid fast, but that's just me. :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's a food that will keep you well hydrated. I think as long as there wasn't anything chunky in it, it would count toward your liquid diet.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I searched it up first but couldnt find anything, so im asking you guys opinions!

Im on a liquid only fast.
    To cleanse my body of fast food, and to help build a healthy relationship between me and the way i eat. (Eating when im not hungry, craving crappy foods, etc).

So i was wondering.. Is soup a solid or a liquid..
    I mean is it food, or can it be classified as a drink?
    I dont mean like beef broth, chicken and mushroom or anything.
    I mean like plain tomato soup, etc with no food chunks or stringy bits..

what do you guys think?

I think you are ok with broths, but tomato soup I would vote as no. But that's just my opinion. :)