Are you doing too much?

Options
A very common mistake is doing way too much at the beginning of a weight-loss plan. We think more is better. We are also excited and highly motivated. Early on we are extra strict with our diet and workout as often as possible. This behavior is then reinforced because we lose weight immediately. The issue comes later when weight loss slows down and we've already maxed out the tool box.
Since I lost 130lbs 12 years ago my mindset has been to eat as much as possible and workout as little as possible while still losing and maintaining weight loss. This way I've been able to add a bit more when I want to get leaner and then quickly scale back again to maintain.

For long-term results you need to pace yourself, this is a journey and not a race.
Blessings!

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    That's good advice! I'm guilty of it myself, especially when it comes to exercise. I see the results and it makes me want to do it every day but then I push myself too much and get tired....have to rest....and feel a failure and end up giving up!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yey :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Sustainability and lifelong habit formation FTW!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Excellent point, original poster. People want it all right now, then stress themselves out when it doesn't come overnight. Take it seriously but also take it easy and settle in a little. Give your body time to adjust to the changes you're throwing at it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    exercise is important beyond weight control.

Since we're only talking about weight control the OP is still correct.

How so? If we are only talking weight control then why even mention exercise?
  • Seffell
    Options

Because sometimes it is impossible to make a deficit without eating dangerously little if you don't do exercise. (By exercise I also understand walking as this is my exercise).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Because sometimes it is impossible to make a deficit without eating dangerously little if you don't do exercise. (By exercise I also understand walking as this is my exercise).

It is? On what is that opinion based?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What would advise be for people who are motivated by fast results or those that have an excessive amount of fat to lose?

I am of the opinion that I want to get dietary phases finished as soon as possible and increase activity, add designated cardio, keep training volume high and reduce calories to where the minimum I can cope with.

By no means am I advocating this but just offering an alternative view.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Exer

Many people still think exercise is key to losing weight.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What would advise be for people who are motivated by fast results or those that have an excessive amount of fat to lose?

I am of the opinion that I want to get dietary phases finished as soon as possible and increase activity, add designated cardio, keep training volume high and reduce calories to where the minimum I can cope with.

I believe from experience, that the faster your results the more difficult it is to maintain them. For me, I don't see the point of losing weight to just gain it back again. That's not success in my book. This is of course for the average overweight person like myself who's looking to make a lifelong transformation.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »

I believe from experience, that the faster your results the more difficult it is to maintain them. For me, I don't see the point of losing weight to just gain it back again. That's not success in my book. This is of course for the average overweight person like myself who's looking to make a lifelong transformation.

The bit that I think people can't maintain is not the weight loss, it is the eating habits. If you can change your habits to something that will benefit you at maintenance then you are on to a winner.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    eat as much as possible and workout as little as possible while still losing and maintaining weight loss.

The thing with weight loss is YMMV. It's hard to make blanket statements or generalizations because what works for one person may not work for someone else.

I've lost the weight and gained it back several times. I've even maintained it before for years. The problem comes when I become lax. I skip a workout here, skip a workout there, think I can eat more than I really can.

This time around I'm changing my life and for me that means regular exercise and lower calories. I could eat more and lose weight slower, but in the past I've had trouble cutting back once I lost weight.

I'm eating now how I plan to eat forever and for me that's easier than having to cut back in however many weeks when I've lost however many pounds. My weight loss will slow eventually and I'll most likely plateau, but I can deal with that better knowing that I only have to keep going than getting to that point and having to up my exercise or cut back more.
  • Seffell
    Options

It is? On what is that opinion based?

On my personal experience.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    WTF is this?

A very common mistake is doing way too much at the beginning of a weight-loss plan. We think more is better. We are also excited and highly motivated. Early on we are extra strict with our diet and workout as often as possible. This behavior is then reinforced because we lose weight immediately. The issue comes later when weight loss slows down and we've already maxed out the tool box.
    Since I lost 130lbs 12 years ago my mindset has been to eat as much as possible and workout as little as possible while still losing and maintaining weight loss. This way I've been able to add a bit more when I want to get leaner and then quickly scale back again to maintain.

For long-term results you need to pace yourself, this is a journey and not a race.
    Blessings!

Oh, it's actually pretty good advice. I might disagree somewhat about the bolded, but that - like many/most things - is almost entirely based on personal goals. Carry on.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good post!

Agree, slow and steady sustainable long term results is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle or weight loss.

Gradually form good habits (exercise & eating) on which to build on and the rest should follow suit.