What's your biggest waste of money related to fitness?

Options

Replies

• ladyteapot
    ladyteapot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is disappointing..I wanted a Fitbit :/ reviews seem to be bad
    @Spencerport I'm with you on the graze thing ..awful!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    An exercise bike. I bought it for around £200 thinking it would save me a gym membership. I used it twice and eventually sold it for £50 and joined the gym. I have to leave the house to get motivated to push hard. I've also bought various DVD's that I don't use because a) again, not motivation in the house and b) the bloody things won't play on the xbox and I don't have an actual DVD player because we have the xbox
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A $3 resistance band. Used it once. So much money wasted.
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    peter2100 wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Well aren't you lucky to be so wise? Mr Gloaty-McGloaty-Pants! Glad you find other people who aren't so wise to be so funny... Such a shame we aren't all so marvellous, I'm sure the world would be such a better place if we were all as clever as you!
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

How much for that high horse?

Yeah, yeah. We can't all be this clever. It just comes naturally to me.

$350 ono
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I have a whole basement set-up of squat rack, bench, oly bar, and weights... but I figured out I really just prefer going to the gym for some reason. So it's a bit wasted, although I do use it when I can't make it to my gym.

Also I once completely wasted $60 on P90X dvds that I hated and used once. But I bought them at a yardsale and was able to resell and get my money back.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Although I wasn't the one who spent the money, I'd have to say my Fitbit is the biggest waste of money. It may be quite useful for some people but I just don't care to log my intake, I don't care what my HR is, I find it too uncomfortable to sleep in. Knowing the number of steps in a day is sometimes interesting but honestly most of the time I forget to even look or sync the thing with my phone. And the vibration when I hit 10,000 steps always scares the *kitten* out of me.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »

Well aren't you lucky to be so wise? Mr Gloaty-McGloaty-Pants! Glad you find other people who aren't so wise to be so funny... Such a shame we aren't all so marvellous, I'm sure the world would be such a better place if we were all as clever as you!

How much for that high horse?

Yeah, yeah. We can't all be this clever. It just comes naturally to me.

$350 ono

giphy.gif
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Fitbit. It's uncomfortable and inaccurate compared to my beloved BodyMedia FIT (RIP).

Yes, this!!! Fitbit is terrible.

This for me too
    Uncomfortable, inaccurate, essentially just an overpriced pedometer - absolute rubbish
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ladyteapot wrote: »

I think they are good for some people. My sister loves hers. So much so that she bought me one and expects me to wear it all the time. I'd advise researching the features and deciding for yourself whether it's something you'd like.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill but when I moved I had to leave it behind.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Bought those meals that are prepared for you and you pick up. Wasted time and money. Also, did not learn how to prepare meals on my own.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    A used Schwinn spinning bike. It's good quality but not as adjustable in terms of fit as a real bike or the Lemond bikes used at my tri club, it sits collecting dust most of the time while I ride indoors on a trainer in the winter.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    vegan-style protein powder. not really a waste since i knew i was taking a risk and might not like it, but pleh. i think i got the vega brand that looks so snazzy and all, but it was like drinking diluted baby poop. i just couldn't.

and, for me . . . signing up for classes. any classes, any venue, any activity. i just freckin' hate them. they suck every vestige of joy out of me.
  • bcknudtson
    bcknudtson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    vegan-style protein powder. not really a waste since i knew i was taking a risk and might not like it, but pleh. i think i got the vega brand that looks so snazzy and all, but it was like drinking diluted baby poop. i just couldn't.

Same! I wanted to like Vega after looking at the nutritional info/ingredient lists, but I still have a tub sitting on top of my fridge that I just can't bring myself to consume. So gross.

Side note - Orgain's plant-based protein powder is really good! :)
  • baylie1114
    baylie1114 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ladyteapot wrote: »

I love mine! I actually won it in a raffle-type thing. So I didn't actually pay for it; but knowing what I know now, I would have! I have the Charge 2 with the continuous heart rate monitoring. (Without the heart rate, I feel like it really is just an overpriced pedometer.) I mean, it doesn't do the work for you, but I love seeing the patterns of my daily calorie burns, etc. And this one tracks exercise calories, too. I find it super helpful for really understanding what it takes to lose a pound or two per week and how a few lazy days can affect your week. Just my two cents.

Edited to say that I also love working out with a HR monitor. I guess I like having confirmation that I'm working as hard as I feel like I am, or have motivation to kick it up a notch if I'm not getting into my zone.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Most things I've bought have gone to good use. The things that haven't are mostly cutesy exercise clothing that either only fits me maybe 3 times a year (usually during spring when I'm really on top of my calories to get ready for summer) or just functionally sucks *kitten* (doesn't stay where it's supposed to). Thankfully I usually don't spend tooooo much money on clothing in general. I bought an ipod nano (only $50) several years ago that I really only used for a few months till I got a new phone and used Pandora from then on.

My husband on the other hand....He's never been in to fitness but last spring decided he needed to lose some weight. He bought a $120 pair of running shoes, a $60 fitness video game, and a $150 garmin vivosmart. He used the game twice and gave up due to soreness. Then he ran too fast, too soon and got plantar fasciitis and hasn't worked out since. He still wears the garmin but doesn't even bother syncing it with the app, it's more just an expensive watch.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

with a gym membership comes gym gear...fyi..more expense and running requires good runners...another expense.

I don't have a gym membership.
    I don't regret any purchase I have made in the last 3-4 years in regards to my fitness that includes weights, treadmill, fitness tracker, gear, runners etc.

I am very careful with my fitness purchases and don't spend the funds unless I am sure...for example took me 3 months of research on my fitness tracker,....6 months on the treadmill purchase...

I have been on the treadmill everyday since it was put together btw...1 month.