What's your biggest waste of money related to fitness?

Options

Replies

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill I don't use. I have a pair of nike trainers that are so minimal they hurt my feet. I hate them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A BOSU ball. Haven't used it once.
  • lolis_DD
    lolis_DD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The number disappointed with the Fitbit are rather surprising. I've only heard good things about them.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit charge hr, it's my first activity tracker and i find it to be pretty accurate on tdee (though it took a while to hone in on it).

i've bought a kettle bell i've never used. . . yet? i've also bought a set of resistance bands i can't find, though i used them for a while with p90x. i still use a couple of the p90x dvd's but not regularly. i bought about 4 running apps before i found two i really like (ismoothrun and zombies, run!) i'm about to buy a hula hoop and i'm just going to preemptively put it in the wasted money category because i lack basic coordination for hula hooping. i once had a fitness trampoline that we called the trampoline of delusions, the first delusion being that we would regularly use the trampoline. it eventually rusted and tore. i'm sure i could think of more, but i'm getting depressed now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I spent like $20 on some preworkout once, and it just made me feel weird. Total waste.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Graze membership. It was ok, but I realized I could do a lot of the same snacks cheaper by buying food in bulk and mixing it myself.

I loved their snacks! But ultimately it was too expensive for me.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    vegan-style protein powder. not really a waste since i knew i was taking a risk and might not like it, but pleh. i think i got the vega brand that looks so snazzy and all, but it was like drinking diluted baby poop. i just couldn't.

and, for me . . . signing up for classes. any classes, any venue, any activity. i just freckin' hate them. they suck every vestige of joy out of me.

i use plant fusion vegan protein powder and i like it a lot.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nothing - I'm so tight I hardly spend money on getting fit.

If I quit, I can always sell my plate weights to a scrap metal dealer. :smiley:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bail

• Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    So far most of the things I've bought I've managed to use at least a few times a month to not feel like a waste, however I do have a foldable bench that I next to never use, an exercise ball and one of those ab rollers. That in total was about $80 USD.

At one point I used the ball as a chair because I heard it was better for your back than a regular chair but I've since learned otherwise. The ab roller was from woot while on sale. I use it maybe once every other week or so. The bench I don't use as much as I used to when I bought it because I gravitated towards bodyweight exercises and don't usually feel like pulling my weights out of their container.

Sidenote: I've been wanting a pair of parallettes and instead of buying them already made I decided I wanted to try and make some, this time out of wood (I previously had some made out of pvc pipe but they were uneven due to the fact that pvc plumbers glue dries really fast, faster than I expected and things set a bit wrong -.-). So far the cost of wood and tools was $21.17. I'm hoping to use them to work on my l-sit and handstands.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Re the Fitbit: I am a little skeptical of most trackers because I just don't trust that companies with limited resources can just crank out complicated measuring devices. I also hate wasting money on bad, cheap products. I saved up and bought a polar v800, which has its own limitations, but at least it's not a toy. (You can probably get almost the same technology in the cheaper m400 or a300 models). I bought mine refurbished but so far it's been great investment.

My only "wasted" purchase was a LeMond Revmaster spin bike. Not a bad bike, but got it because my wife wanted it and then she decided she didn't like it. In the the end, it worked out ok. I originally bought it with an "insider" discount. So when I sold it a couple of years ago (brand new condition), even at 50% of MSRP, I still made a profit.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    bcknudtson wrote: »
    vegan-style protein powder. not really a waste since i knew i was taking a risk and might not like it, but pleh. i think i got the vega brand that looks so snazzy and all, but it was like drinking diluted baby poop. i just couldn't.

Same! I wanted to like Vega after looking at the nutritional info/ingredient lists, but I still have a tub sitting on top of my fridge that I just can't bring myself to consume. So gross.

Side note - Orgain's plant-based protein powder is really good! :)

Oh, yes, plant-based protein powder. I bought a YUGE tub of it because my go-to whey wasn't available and I needed something w/o sugar.

Worst. Sixty. Lunches. Ever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My running shoes...I hate running...I tried to force the issue, but I just prefer to cycle...and I have foot issues. They don't see a lot of action. $120 down the drain pretty much.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill but when I moved I had to leave it behind.

Oh, wow...that sucks...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    SRAM Force 22

Can't have colored hoses, and the shifting paddles are metal!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Random fun fact: per gram of protein, protein powder is always cheaper than even chicken breast (unless you buy overpriced "sucker powder"). Who's the sucker now?...well me, because I eat the hell out of both.

We had a nutritionist come in and give a talk for the company. She was very much against supplements. Told us peanut butter had more protein per dollar than powder. I don't know if that's true or not (we go for quality peanut butter) but I know the stuff has a lot more calories per gram of protein than the powder. Not like I can hit my goal every day by eating a jar of PB with a spoon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Random fun fact: per gram of protein, protein powder is always cheaper than even chicken breast (unless you buy overpriced "sucker powder"). Who's the sucker now?...well me, because I eat the hell out of both.

We had a nutritionist come in and give a talk for the company. She was very much against supplements. Told us peanut butter had more protein per dollar than powder. I don't know if that's true or not (we go for quality peanut butter) but I know the stuff has a lot more calories per gram of protein than the powder. Not like I can hit my goal every day by eating a jar of PB with a spoon.

Loads of people claim pb is an amazing protein source... I have no idea why!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lolis_DD wrote: »
    The number disappointed with the Fitbit are rather surprising. I've only heard good things about them.

I love mine, too. I have the One and I clip it on my bra. I think if I had a type that I wore on my wrist, I would find it annoying.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I bought a road bike last year. I already had a commuter but I wanted a road bike so that I could go out with the road bike club. It wasn't expensive for a road bike, but expensive for me (over $2000). I hardly use it because even though I do go faster on it than my other bike I still can't keep up with the D group ride which is the slowest road bike ride... and if I want to do a slow roll my commuter is just fine.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The trail shoes that are half a size too small, so I took them out the box, tried them on, liked them, ran in them, then it wasn't until I got to 7 miles I realised they didn't fit properly. Can't take them back, can't really wear them so saving up for a new pair :( They are great shoes as well if they were just a tad bigger.

Other than that, my Camelbak. Too heavy and cumbersome to run with, so I use a waist belt with holsters instead.