Exercise up - weight plateaued

Options
over last week I have walked miles and yet my weight has plateaued. Any ideas? Think I have pretty much eaten my exercise calories.

Replies

• Indigo2200
    Options
    I recently plateaued, too. I found that changing up what I was doing with my diet and exercise helped me over the hump.
  • deisha
    deisha Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There is debate as to whether to eat your exercise calories or not. But I see that in order to lose weight you must exercise more then what you are burning. Have you tried only eating some of your exercise calories and seeing what happens then? :smile:
  • larimarless
    Options
    I recently plateaued as well. I think some bodies like to "rest" at a certain weight and then start to lose again? Mine certainly does. Keep going and you will begin to lose again. Simplify the diet. Eat whole grains and chew well. Give it a try. Cheers!
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    i plataeu'd for yonks, heres what i did! im now losing once again! good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288118-plateau-breakthrough
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the exact same excercises (e.g. walking), your body will adjust. Have you thought of or tried increasing the time or the intensity? Maybe add a 30 second jog for every 2 minutes you walk, if you're able to. You'll get over that plateau in no time. Maybe incorporate some light weight lifting as well.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    Mine has plateaued too :sad: I've been exercising religiously and I've been good about what I eat. I'm like you.... confused and wondering what to do. My friend reckons it's a rest thing. Your body needs to rest so your metabolism has to stablise. Once your BMI has adjusted, you then go onto lose more weight. She didn't mention though if you had to change anything though :grumble:
  • jaywilcox
    jaywilcox Posts: 1
    Options
    It is important to do strength/weight training. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn at its resting rate. If you lose weight by losing both fat and muscle, this impairs your ability to continue to lose weight. You will lose the pounds a little more slowly if you build muscle and lose ft, but it will be more consistent.

Second, it is true that your body adjusts to any exercise if you do it regularly. So you do need to change it up. When I work out on specific muscle group (say chest and triceps), I never do the same workout twice--I always vary the exercises I include.

Third, change the composition of your diet. I love myfitnesspal, but I disagree with the composition of the diet (i.e., protein, fat and carbs). I eat about 1/3 to 1/2 more protein than it calls for and less carbs. (It takes more calories for the body to digest protein than the same amount of carbs, and it helps build muscle, which increases metabolism.)

I've been on plateaus and they're no fun. Good luck!
  • fionamacf
    fionamacf Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It helps to know I'm not the only one. Think I'll try swimming.