Is there any point..

Options
In doing sit ups and squats etc while I'm still far from my target weight? I have at least 3 stone to lose so right now is there any point doing all the muscle work or should I wait until I am closer to my target weight?
Thanx

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises help preserve muscle which will give you a better look when u get to goal than if you don't preserve muscle.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It's never too early to work your core, it makes everything you do so much easier.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes its worth it! As people above have stated, when you are losing weight, its not just fat. If you are not maintaining your muscles (through weight/strength training, core like pushups, crunches, etc), then as you lose the weight, you could also lose strength.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes, don't wait.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can be thinner

Or

You can be thinner and fitter

You decide
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep up with strength training.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who's medically obese and started doing bodyweight stuff a few months ago. because me and my weightlifting obsession. she asked me for info and then kept being all shy about how her stuff 'wasn't much' 'compared to' what i was doing . . . but the thing is, just by doing an air squat she's already lifting about 10 pounds more than i've ever had on a barbell.

do eet do eet. you're already way stronger then you even know. don't waste it by letting it wither while you get free of the fat.
  • Missbright14
    Missbright14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one. I will make sure I get some time on the weights xx
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i'm still 40 pounds from goal but i only wish i had started with strength training sooner! the scale losses have slowed down, but not stopped, i am seeing changes even beneath the remaining fat, my running has improved as my legs have gotten stronger and best of all i feel so much better about myself and the things i can do now that i never thought i could.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I exercised right from the start and never looked back. It was difficult being unfit and heavy but you feel so accomplished as you get fitter and see improvements
    Good luck
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    i'm still 40 pounds from goal but i only wish i had started with strength training sooner! the scale losses have slowed down, but not stopped, i am seeing changes even beneath the remaining fat, my running has improved as my legs have gotten stronger and best of all i feel so much better about myself and the things i can do now that i never thought i could.
    This is what I love about fitness! I have well over 100 lbs until I'm a healthy weight but I feel amazing because I can run, lift heavy, and do things that thin people do. Fitness goals are a great motivator when that goal weight looks so far away. OP, you are going to love yourself for doing that muscle work.
    i have a friend who's medically obese and started doing bodyweight stuff a few months ago. because me and my weightlifting obsession. she asked me for info and then kept being all shy about how her stuff 'wasn't much' 'compared to' what i was doing . . . but the thing is, just by doing an air squat she's already lifting about 10 pounds more than i've ever had on a barbell.

do eet do eet. you're already way stronger then you even know. don't waste it by letting it wither while you get free of the fat.
    That moment I realized I was squatting the weight on the bar plus my extra 150 lbs. Whoa! I'm all about them big girl squats!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

This could so be me talking. The weight loss might not be as fast or dramatic, but I'm feeling so much stronger and body is changing so much since I started lifting heavier.