The emotion of weight loss

Options
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my experience so far with managing my weight.

In 2007 I was sitting around 23 stone and 6'7" tall. Over the winter I lost 5 stone/70lb by finding the right balance of intake and calories burnt. I got down to 18 stone, which is reasonable for my build and height.

Since 2009/10 life happened - shut down a business, out of work, new job behind a desk etc and my weight gradually grew back to where I originally was, despite trying to manage it with diets that lasted a week, and fitness fads that lasted a month. Looking back now, I can see how life was affecting me, and weight was a constant battle every day, but I can also see why I wasn't losing weight, why I couldn't make progress. I was stuck in rut, going round in circles and it was really getting to me. 2lb off, 3lb on, 4lb off...

I hit my heaviest ever in August of this year, but it wasn't until 3 weeks ago that I managed to break out of going in circles. For the first time I put my trust in a fitness band to monitor my activity, and started using MFP to log intake, and everything has just clicked. I've increased my activity from what was incredibly sedentary, reaching 2000-3000 steps per day, up to 100,000 steps last week. My intake has been reduced and is now under target nearly every day, and is really manageable. I'm eating quite a lot, but it's the right stuff and everything is logged.

I've lost 1.5 stone since my heaviest in April, 1 stone of that since I bought the fitness band three weeks ago.

What I have loved is the feeling this all brings back - confidence, change, progress... This comes every day when I'm out trying to maintain activity and intake goals. The feeling of a loss when stepping on the scales, or fitting into clothes I used to love, is encouraging and reassuring, but it's the everyday successes that keep me focused.

I love this feeling and will come back here to reassure myself when times get tough. :)

G

Replies

• OrlaKane339
    OrlaKane339 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's wicked man, you are on fire!!! Yes, you have a way to go (don't we all) but you are making awesome progress and doing in it a safe & sustainable way!!!

Keep up the great work and the results will speak for themselves!!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You are doing great keep up the good work
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finding something that inspires you and keeps you going through the tough times!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Awesome Job!! Keep it up!
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you're only the right track! There will always be obstacles that pop up and set backs, but you can over come them - keep up the good work!
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. i also recently got a Fitbit and I have lost over 32 Lbs in 2 months. Which increased my average by 3 Lbs a month. I love mine and I like how it keeps me motivated.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread. I find it very encouraging. :)
  • amethystskycg
    amethystskycg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love to hear this. Great job!
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is so great! Congrats to you for getting your brain on board, that's so hard!
    Keep up the good work!